𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟷: 𝙼𝚢 𝙵𝚒𝚛𝚜𝚝 𝙳𝚊𝚢

[Arielle P.O.V./"Black Out Days" -Phantogram]

The busyness of working people rushing around me as I quickly search for Fury's head office gives me even more anxiety than I began with when I got out of bed this morning. My first-day-nerves are a force to be reckoned with, along with S.H.I.E.L.D.'s every-day-itinerary. These people are hard at work, work that never ends. It's everything I want, despite that little voice of fear in the back of my head that continuously loves to remind me that getting this job means no longer having a life of my own. Working for S.H.I.E.L.D. is a huge commitment, but one I have been working towards for so many years that I kind of forgot how to live any other way, anyway. It's part of my routine now.

There's constant noise surrounding me—sounds of keyboards clicking, buzzing sounds coming from many micro projectors and S.H.I.E.L.D.'s newest technology. My eyes hone in on the floating holograms projecting graphs and photographs, even social media pages filled with loads of information. There's a part of me deep down that feels a bit intimidated. Instead, I decide it all excites me more than it scares me, and I can't believe I landed this position. This job. I've been working towards it for so long. All the money spent on training sessions and risky side missions to pass some sort of emotional evaluation test...years of getting my ass kicked and then finally landing a job here. Because of my past, it's that much more meaningful.

And today...oh, today...

...my first day on the job. My first day being a part of the top secret operative & company that is S.H.I.E.L.D. I've wanted this for so long.

My legs pick up some speed as I hold my multitude of folders tightly in my arms, turning the last corner which leads right up to Director Fury's large office. The sleek double-black doors are slightly opened as light peaks through them. My pace slows as I near the door and my heart begins to pound. I take a few deep breaths before I finally find the nerve to knock on the door, alerting him of my entrance. I softly push the door open, biting my bottom lip as I'm met with an exciting sight.

This is real.

Fury stands with his back to the door, glancing out the massive window as he holds a large, white binder in his hands. The ship we're on has been flying in the air for a few hours now, and my meeting with him has just begun. I've had days to think and to prepare myself for this moment, only to realize I'm not even close to being ready—not really. How can I be perfectly prepared? I thought I was until this moment...it happened. It became real. This is the real thing.

"Miss...Arielle Anson?" He says readily, his body slowly turning to face me. My eyes widen a bit with intimidation and my lips curve into a nervous smile as my grip tightens on my folders. I begin to nod,

"Yes, that's me, sir." I respond rather quickly. Fury cracks a warm smile before motioning for me to come toward him.

"Right on time, agent. First impressions are rather important to me." He states, walking toward the front of his desk as I begin to near it. As soon as I reach him, he holds the binder out for me to grasp. I feel my heart racing as I grab it from him firmly, reading the words printed on the cover of it:

Avengers Initiative
Case File #13
Viola

As soon as I read the word "Avengers", my jaw drops and the blood drains from my face. I had no idea I'd be working this case along with the...Avengers themselves—these icons I'd only ever seen glimpses of on television, read about in books. Their experience is far more extensive than mine could ever be. And my first case...he's putting me on this? Why? I can't help but stutter.