Chapter 17: The Calm Before the Storm

I wake up, my head hazy from the snap my neck recieved from Elena. I rub my neck, "thanks, Elena." I say to myself as I get up off of the floor. I look around, nobody in sight. I focus my incredibly reliable vamp hearing and hear faint sounds of a person crying out in severe pain and misery. I vamp speed out the door and into the back yard, following the agonizing screams.

As I get closer, the screams get more intense, it's almost not human the noises the person is making.. as I turn to my right, I see the back of Elena, but I can't see who is in front of her. She whips her head around with a blood filled mouth and smiles, her eyes are as if they are off in a far place. I know from my own experience exactly where that far place is, she has turned her humanity switch off.

Just as my mind tries to process this, she vamps over to me, her eyes fixated on me. She brings her gaze inward, I can feel her breath on the side of my face.. I look over her shoulder inconspicuously to see a woman whose blood is pouring from her wrists, crying and begging for Elena to let her go. I bring my attention back to Elena, "What are you doing?" I ask, in merely a whisper.

"You know exactly what I'm doing, Stefan. You know you want to sink your teeth into her, just as badly as I do."

"We are one in the same, Stefan."

I am fixated on the blood dripping from her teeth. She's smiling angelically as if to egg me on.

"I can't decline an offer such as this, it'd be too good to pass up." I say, my teeth prominantly showing.

I vamp speed over to the woman, looking into her miserable eyes, and sink my teeth in. I fall to the cold ground, my whole body is burning, as if it's eating it's way through my skin. "Aghhhh" I yell. "What the fuck did you do?" I yell at Elena, almost unable to breathe.

She is standing over me, her face serious and stern.

"Aww, you poor thing. Is Stefan hurt? Aww.... well that's just too bad."

She kicks dirt in my eyes, and kneels down beside me, hovering over me; "nobody said it was Elena.... "

Rubbing the dirt from my eyes, I look up at her... putting all the pieces together. ...

"Katherine.... why are you here?"