Chapter 2: Somethings Gotta Give

We finally get settled into a beautiful mansion up on a massive hill in the French Quarter overlooking the city. It's quite peaceful, and I find myself able to relax here.

But, the humans. Swarming the street. This whole human blood thing is really starting to get to me. I've been a vampire for awhile now, I don't think it's that I'm a "newborn vampire" whose initial reaction is to bite into the neck of any human who makes their presence known. I'm not sure what's wrong.

My humanity is on, and the Elena Gilbert I know would never want to hurt anyone. So, I'm not sure what's up with me, but I hope it goes away soon, because it's starting to become a real struggle.

Just then, Caroline walks into the room and I snap out of my deep, dark, thoughts.

She gives me a questionable look. "Elena, is everything okay? You've been pretty quiet since we got here yesterday."

I pause, "Yeah, I'm alright. Just fighting some inner demons."

Caroline concerned says, "Still having urge issues? You know what helped me through it when I was transitioning? Thinking of all of the consequences feeding off of humans would be, and how'd they affect me.  The guilt would be unbearable, and I know you wouldn't be able to get through that. You are a good person, Elena.

I smile and start to respond, just then we hear a loud noise coming from upstairs and the lights go out. Last I knew Damon and Stefan went out to a bar to celebrate, and everyone else is anywhere but here. Probably enjoying themselves.

So that means it's just Caroline and I.

But whose in the house with us?