Chapter 22: A Whole New World

My senses start to come back to me very slowly. I feel as if I am floating, frozen in time. I feel at peace, more so than I have ever felt in my entire existence. Even in life's most precious happiest moments, I've never felt peace quite like I am feeling now. There is no anger, no sadness, and most importantly no pain.

My eyes start to open to a very blury, familar face that I feel as if I haven't seen in a long time. My vision clears and I see Alaric looking over me. I sit up a little too fast, feeling a rush of diziness come over me. "Alaric?! What are you doing here?! How can I see you?!"

He breaks away from my gaze and looks down at the floor.

"Look, Elena. We have some very important things to talk about. Let's not waste any time."

I shake my head, confused. "Alaric..... I pause, How is that I can see you. You are dead. You've been dead."

I stop short, "Wait........ does that mean I'm.... dead?"

He nods his head in an uncooperative way as if he refuses to give me a straight forward answer.

I come to the conclusion myself that I am dead. Furthermore, I never got to say goodbye to the people I love. I never got to tell Damon how much he saved my life in so many ways, the way his love made me feel and how I wouldn't have traded it for anything, ever. Or Stefan, who turned out being one of the most amazing friends I could have had considering our history. Or Jeremy, who went off to college to try and live a "normal" life, without all the vampire/hybrid/werewolf/witchery drama that consumed his life for so long. How could this have happened to me? Even in the midst of me feeling peace in the back of my mind, tears begin to well up in my eyes. One after the other they begin to run down my face, I feel a hand touch my shoulder and Alaric bends down to my level.

"Elena, it's okay. I promise, everything is going to be okay."

"It's not fair, Alaric!" I sob.

"Elena we need to talk." he presses.

I sniff, wiping the still falling tears from my face. "Okay, I look at him. What? What do we need to talk about? We have eternity to talk, and not in a vampire kind of eternity. Because it's all over."

"We need to talk about the things that have been happening to you."

I look up at him suddenly. "Okay...... why? we can't change anyting, we're dead." I suddenly think of Bonnie, and smirk a little... realizing my reality.

"Because, something is causing it. And we need to figure out what it is. Before it starts affecting anyone else."

"Alaric, I don't know what it is. If I did, I would do anything to stop it... because it is the worst feeling in the world. I feel like I am going crazy. I don't understand any of it, and it terrifies me..."

"When did it all start?" he asks, curious.

I think about this for a second, retracing my memory. "Back when I woke up in that tattered worn down house. Waking up to countless dead bodies in a world of confusion.... and then it appeared, its teeth sharp, it's skin morbidly cold. It's face... it's eyes.... and then, Klaus was there...... Klaus........

I hear a faint echo off into the distance, wherever that is..... someone yelling, what are they saying? I focus all of my attention and strain to make out the words...... I feel light headed and faint, my vision begins to go out.......

"Elena?!"

"Elena?!"

My vision goes white.......... I can't see anything.....

My name lingers, such intense and emotional yelling........

I blink quickly, trying to hold onto every plead.

My eyes close, but quickly open... to a face...... but it's not Alaric..........

"Damon?!?!?!?!?!??!"