Chapter 11: It's Simple Arithmetic

Start from the beginning

“Well since it’s only me and Tristan there we try to be civil. We’re still arguing if that’s what you’re asking.” She shrugged rolling her eyes at the mere thought of the blond who was known for his candid statements.

“Ha, give Tristan a break—wait you mean Hunter wasn’t there?” I asked curious on where he could be. I mean I was only curious because of the whole Ryan situation, not because I was worried or anything.

“Oh so you don’t know where your guy is?” She smiled laughing at her own joke.

“He’s not my guy. He’s just an annoyance that I happen to keep around for excitement purposes only.” I said glaring at the girl with black hair on my chair.

“Whatever. How did you get poison oak anyway?” I rolled my eyes remembering the bush Hunter pulled me through.

“Hunter pulled me through a bush.” I shrugged.

“Ha! Sounds like Hunter. Was he trying to get you to sleep with him?” She smiled beaming at me with her brown eyes.

“No, he was trying to get to the sidewalk from his backyard and used the wrong bush.” I decided I wasn’t going to tell her about the whole Ryan situation just yet. There was nothing really to tell. I didn't know much.

“Well I have to go. My Mommy and Papa want me home ASAP because my Naanaa and Naanii (Hindi: Grandfather and Grandmother) are coming for a visit.” I was use to her Hindi way of calling her parents or some of the phrases she used because I’ve known her all my life, really. She’s been my best friend for a long time, she was more Americanized though; she didn’t really wear the traditional garments unless she wanted to. It was her choice.

“Bye! Well since I missed the rest of the school week you want to go to the football game Saturday? Our school is playing a team from out of state.” I offered wanting to go somewhere for a change. Maybe Hunter was somewhat of a good influence. I guess.

“Of course I do! Cute boys from a different school will be there. Maybe jealous Hunter is as adorable as a baby meerkat.” She winked and bound out of my room in a happy mood. I had no idea where she got her comparisons from.

***

I stayed in my room for a couple of hours before deciding I was going to make sure Hunter was okay. I mean he would do that for me, I’m sure; also because I was sick of being at home. I pulled on a jacket my rash was gone but my mom still made me put the cream on the bandage and  rap my arms with it, so there was no way it could come back. My hoodie was a form fitting and black, plain but it worked.

I pulled the hood over my head and tried my best to be stealthy down the stairs but I knew after the first creak of the stairs I knew it was no point.

“December, where are you going?” My mom voiced me at the door where I was putting on my trusty converse.

“Just for a walk, mom” I sighed not wanting to be told to go back to my room.

“Okay be careful! And no more bushes.” She warned swinging around the spatula she was making pancakes with. Apparently we were about to have brinner, breakfast/dinner.

I walked down the neighborhood streets in a quick pace. I wasn’t afraid but I wasn’t necessarily calm. I mean a girl walking alone in this world is very dangerous. It was about 6 o’clock on a Friday night and it wasn’t dark yet but it would get there soon.

When I made it to Hunter’s house there was no cars outside the house, but Hunter’s motorcycle could have been in the garage. The home still gave off the vibe, even from the outside. I was excited, thrilled even to go inside and just get an ounce of that comforting feeling this house brought.