Chapter Fifteen

(Flashback continued…)
.
.
.

-=Dale’s POV=-

“Yes, mother.”  I rolled my eyes as my mom continued ranting her reminders for the nth time. I transferred the phone to my other ear; it was already heating up, barbecuing my eardrum. 

“I know, mom— yes, I promise— I love you, too. Bye.” I ended the call and put the phone back to my bag.

My mom asked me if I could go home next week and I assured her that I could. I already missed our house, home-cooked meals, and my family. I hoped Chip would be home, too. He hadn’t called me for a long time. I missed him.

I climbed off Herbie and looked up at the sign board of a shop, Sweet Tooth.

“What do you need, miss?” A smiling lady greeted me when I entered the store.

The whole place was painted with all shades of pink. There were colorful candies and cupcakes on the shelves, while kids ran around with their adults, filling their baskets with anything that could crack their teeth.

I smiled in return and bended down to examine the array of cakes stored in a refrigerated glass shelf just beside the counter.

“This one I guess.” I pointed my finger to the cake I thought would best represent the celebrant.

Melinda and I planned the celebration the whole week, keeping it a secret from Red.

She called me one day like she promised and asked for help for her son’s upcoming birthday. I said yes right away and was glad to be part of the preparation.

It broke my heart when she told me it could be the last time she would witness Red’s birthday. She withdrew the last of her savings so she could give him a day to remember. She hoped so.

“Here you go, miss. It’s one of our bestsellers.” The lady handed me over the Red Velvet cake kept inside a white box, which had a pink ribbon on top.

Cheerfully, I paid for it, thanked the lady, and left.

When I arrived at their apartment, it was already late in the afternoon.

Melinda had Red occupied by some errands the whole day so we could work with our surprise.

Certain dishes were already at the table and some thoughtful neighbors were decorating the whole place with balloons and birthday stuffs.

I giggled; it looked like a six-year old birthday party. My stomach growled with the smell of roasted chicken.

“Dale!” A jolly voice had me turned around in a second.

I had never seen Melinda as glowing as she was.

Wearing a yellow lacy blouse paired with jeans, she looked really happy and it made her more beautiful. She must be pale but had managed to put some lipstick to cover her chapped lips. You couldn’t tell she’s sick. She looked healthy, her eyes twinkling like they won her over cancer.

I gave her the cake and she immediately placed it over the table.

“Thank you.” She said and I gasped when she hugged me all of a sudden.

“You’re very welcome. I want to see both of you happy.” I told her when she finally released me, but kept her cold hands in mine.

“Kyle.” She started. I watched as sadness took over the windows of her soul.

“I may have done so many mistakes in my life but I’ve never regretted having him. He may be hard at times but I’m sure, really sure—” A tear escaped from her eye while she tried keeping her smile.