Sebastian fell silent after that and returned to scraping, but I shifted my position so I was facing him.

"No siren like vampires?" I asked, even more befuddled. "So, how'd I end up with my ability?"

His hand stopped mid-stroke and he turned, flipping the dagger around and burying it in the cloth, right in front of my toes. I jumped, startled so bad I nearly peed myself, and looked at him with a tight face and shaking knees. His eyes shone yellow in the dark, twin disks full of hatred.

"There's only one vampire I've ever seen with a gift like yours," he said, slow, guttural, menacing, making my pulse race. "That is the only other reason I'm keeping you alive. No more questions."

I swallowed, since his canines had extended into such sharp points that they stuck out a little over his bottom lip, even with his mouth closed. I must have been staring at them pretty intensely because the next thing I knew, he was up in my face, glaring like a madman.

"Anytime you desire to see them closer, let me know."

I didn't miss the underlying menace in his tone. 

I gulped and sat back, message received. He didn't appreciate me staring, but that was fine with me, I'd be the most non-staringest person he'd ever met. Or so I thought, until Sebastian did a creepy little trick and retracted his teeth into his mouth far enough to make him look normal. 

I shuddered involuntarily. He gave me the willies, and I wanted nothing more than to head into my room, but my self-preservation instincts were warning me that trying to do so would be a bad decision. 

"Can I go to my room now?" I asked, rubbing my aching face. "My head hurts."

"Suck it up," he snorted. "You're not moving until sun-up."

I knew he was trying to control me, but even if he was, I wasn't about to call the psycho out on it, so I let it slide. I could pick my battles, after all. Or be a complete weenie and valiantly live to run away another day. I rolled my eyes, which I felt was an appropriately rebellious gesture given the circumstances, and the two of us sat in silence. 

He kept glaring at me, and self-preservation be damned, I finally snapped, "what?"

He narrowed his eyes, but said nothing. I wondered then what he saw when he looked at me. I knew I was nothing special. I was small and scrawny and pale and looked very much like a baby-faced girl with ridiculously long hair. I was the least most intimidating man on the planet.  

We sat in silence. He seemed content to let me fidget nervously on the couch, trying to avoid his eyes even though they were on me constantly. I wished more than once that I had worn pants instead of shorts since his eyes flitted to my legs multiple times. 

I curled them up a little closer to my butt when I caught him staring for the fifth time, retracting them as if to pull them away from his gaze, but his eyes followed. Extreme discomfort swept through me in a wave, and I suddenly couldn't stand his eyes on me anymore.

I rose to my feet and turned, lifting my leg and avoiding the kick Sebastian sent at me.

"Oi," he growled, threatening, flicking the knife around. "Sit down. Now."

"I'm going back to sleep," I said, shaking my head. "I'm sore."

"I said sit down," Sebastian snarled, rising like a tower of bad temper. "Now."

I turned and looked at him over my shoulder through the sweep of my hair.

"No," I said simply, calmly. "I'll leave the door open, but I'm going to lie down."