Chapter One

I've been laying in bed for hours now, thinking about what's going to happen today. It's my sixteenth birthday and I'm going through all the pros and cons of turning sixteen.

Pros, old enough to be given respect by the other pack members, I get to transform into, and meet my wolf today, old enough to find my mate.

Cons, the pain of transformation, having everyone fuss over me and I have to buy a human pet.

The last one I hate the most. I don't see why my kind think of themselves higher than the humans. I'm leaving my self out because I don't think the same way as everyone else. The only difference we and the humans have is that we have a second conscious being our wolves which we can transform into. Aside from that we're the same. But only me and my friends think like that, and I'm not allowed to say my views because I'm the alpha's daughter and they can't because their status doesn't allow them an opinion in pack laws.

I think it's because the other packs will think of ours as weak if the alpha's daughter is friendly or sympathises towards the humans.

I know of a pack that lives along side their human slaves, treating them as fellow pack members, but they have no allies and are vulnerable to attacks, but from what I've heard, no one bothers to.

I just want today to be over, I wonder if maybe they'll forget about the whole pet thing?

"Miss Amelia?" A voice calls from outside of my bedroom door.

Getting respect is something I'm going to like. No one came barging into my room this morning and I've been addressed as Miss. I think I could get used to this, a smile crosses my face as I sit up in my bed.

"What is it?" But my smile quickly disappears as I sigh, already knowing the answer to my question.

"Everyone wishes to see you"

I groan, loudly, not caring if I'm heard, although whether it's loud or not is be heard because of a wolf's enhanced hearing.

"Oh yeah?" My voice shows my annoyance, "well guess what? Actually don't bother I'll just tell you, I don't care and I don't want to see them."

I know I sound harsh but later on, once I've shifted for the first time, my parents are going to take me straight to an auction so I can buy a pet, something I don't want to be forced to do.

"Miss, I'm afraid you have to come down, your parents have given me a strict mission in bringing you downstairs." He wasn't a pet, because pets aren't allowed to talk in my pack. Stupid pack rules. He's just one of the members my dad bosses about. Well to be honest he bosses everyone about, a perk of being an Alpha.

"Yeah yeah, I'm coming, I'm coming." I throw legs off the edge of my bed, feeling my fluffy rug under my toes. I'm wearing a dress that ends just above my knees. It's a tradition in my pack to wear a dress the same colour as your eyes on your 16th birthday. With my eyes being a light blue, my dress is light blue.

I woke up early this morning and I couldn't get back to sleep knowing what today is so I put it on to pass some time. Then I just decided to lay I bed, since it was still warm.

Standing up I walk towards my door, opening it to find the, rather annoying and grinning, pack member.

"Come on miss Amelia, everyone's waiting for you in the living room." He swiftly strolls off down the hall without a care in the world.

Whereas I try to make this walk as long as possible. Raking my hand along the wall, dragging out as much time as possible so I can prolong my birthday actually starting. The longer everything takes the less time I'll have to buy a pet which means I might not have to get one. It's a long shot but I'm going to try and go for it.