Chapter Nine

Amelia's POV

Terror is all I can see in his eyes. I know he has directed his fears towards me. He is scared of me and nothing I can do at this moment will calm him down.

I knew the moment I saw him he was fragile. I don't know what he's been put through, I doubt I will ever know the whole story and it's not something I'm ever going to force out of him, I will wait until he feels ready I share his fears.

'Lilly, go stand near the wall, Colton lay down next to him.' I mind link them both, it's a necessity that they listen to me and do as I tell them, for Thomas's sake.

Lilly nods at me, puts down her equipment and stands against the wall close to the door.

Colton whines because he can feel Thomas's emotions. He slowly lays down next to him and rests his head between his paws.

Colton knows exactly what's going through his mind, but he doesn't need to tell me, I can already guess.

Thomas's eyes glance down at Colton and then he jumps once again. He pushes himself against the wall, visibly shaking with fear.

"Thomas." He looks up at me, he looks terrified beyond what I can imagine.

I slowly slide off the bed, taking care not to make any sudden movements.

"It's ok." I doubt it's going to calm him down but anything is better than nothing.

I bend my knees so I'm at his height level and begin to shuffle towards him. He eyes my movements closely an pushes himself further against the wall, as if he wishes to merge with it.

Once I'm at arms length, I stop and sit on my knees, putting myself in a vulnerable position so he can understand I won't hurt him.

His eyes replace fear with confusion, of course fear is still prominent.

Taking a deep breath in I prepare myself, " Thomas, none of us will lay a harmful hand on you."

I notice his eyes dart to all three of us before landing back onto me.

"The girl stood by the door is Lilly." He glances over.

"She only tried to help your bruise."

Recognition flashes over his face. Slowly I pull my arm up and edge it towards the bruise on his face, after a further glance there seems to be a number of small cuts mapped out along his face.

He tries moving back but the wall stops his movements.

I skim my hand over his battered face. "Whoever did this to you is a coward. A scum of a being."

I can feel the eyes of both my friends and Thomas burning into me.
"This isn't right. Thomas please let us help you. The liquid that hurt you is called witch hazel, it purifies a wound and helps to speed up its process."

I take note of how Thomas is no longer shaking. Colton moves his head towards his hand, and I take delight in seeing Thomas running his fingers through the fur on his head.

He may very well be subconsciously doing it, but it does seem to be calming him.

"Would you like us to carry on fixing your cuts and bruises here where you're sat, or do you want to sit back on the bed." I realise after I say it that he won't answer me. He will have been told the rules, I wish I could hear his voice, that he could tell me his worries. But unfortunately that won't be happening any time soon. I do hope that in the future I can bring him to trust me enough to speak to me.

'Should I treat him where he is? He doesn't seem to be making an effort to move.' Glancing over at Lilly I see that she's already back to the first aid kit.