Chapter 4

It's been a year since you had shown up and joined team Minato. One whole year since you had made friends with Rin and gotten closer to Kakashi. It's been one year since Obito became your best friend.

You've been training hard, enhancing your fire jutsu while practicing a few lightning jutsu with the reluctant help of Kakashi. You and Obito had gotten extremely close, both of you just randomly showing up at the other's house whether it be for poker night, helping with dinner, or smack talking. Life's been good.  

Oh wait.
No it hasn't.
You just got the mission.
You know, the mission? 
The mission.

It was a stupid idea you know. Becoming friends with him. You got attached and that makes it all the harder to bear when the time comes. But, you'll see him again. I know you will.

Back to the story, you and Rin were walking to the place Minato said to meet at. You were making stupid jokes and half flirting with her, because you know, she's a fucking goddess and I love her dearly. 

As you arrive, you sit down next to Rin and lay your head in her lap, causing her to smile and comb through your hair with her fingers. You hear the rustling of leaves and lazily glance up, seeing Obito rocket out of the trees and land in a crouch, almost falling over and flailing his arms around as he did. He steadies himself and stands up, rubbing the back of his neck as he opens his mouth, about to speak before getting quickly shut down by Kakashi. 

"What took you so long? We have a mission you know."

"Hmmph." Obito crosses his arms, facing away as you smile at the two boys. 

"I had to help an old woman carry her bags."

"You're too kindhearted. When you're a full fledged shinobi, you're expected to follow the rules!"

"I mean... Ow! Dust in my eyes!"

"Oh come on! I know you're lying!"

Minato chuckles at the two squabbling boys, intervening before anything could happen. 

"Alright, that's enough Kakashi. Obito helped out an old lady, after all."

"Yeah! I carried all her stuff!"

"Oh come on sensei."

You slowly sit up, walking over to the three males and reaching up, patting Kakashi and Obito's head as you grin. You look at the stoic jounin, the smirk still present on your face as you say, "Lighten up, kiddo. Things suck and don't make sense, that's the way it is and the way it'll always be." 

Kakashi scoffs, lightly pushing off your hand and saying, "Then I'll force it to make sense."

You just grin wider, confusing him as he ignores you and continues berating Obito. 

"Anyway, how often does he do this? Is there an old hag at every corner, just lurking? I mean, shinobi who break the rules are regarded as scum, right?" 

Minato awkwardly laughs, and Rin walks up.

"What are you, made of steel? I've heard enough about all the rules and stuff!"

Obito yells, clearly aggravated.

"The key is maintaining self control!"

"Okay, okay, guys break it up!" Rin says, slightly waving her hands.

Kakashi huffs, looking and scolding her. "You shouldn't go so easy on him, Rin. After all, it is my special day." 

"I.... I guess you're right."