Chapter XLVIII: The Dark Portal

In the next days, Nerwen talked often with Pallando, recalling all she knew of his past in Valinor; she told him about the other Maiar who had become Istari, even if she knew little about Saruman and even less about Alatar, unlike Gandalf and Radagast. Pallando had constantly a feeling of recognition, but it stubbornly didn't change into actual reminiscences: his memory remained shaded by a thick veil, beyond which he wasn't able to see anything. He expressed his growing frustration several times to Nerwen.

"So far, I managed to live without the memory about what was my life preceding my awakening in Kalar's house, because I thought I could never recover them and I had resigned myself... but now you talk me about my past and I cannot help but feel like maimed, uncomplete. I am... restless," he said one day, standing up and walking nervously back and forth.

They were in the garden, sitting on a stone bench in the shadow of an elm tree. Nerwen could only imagine his unease; she stayed silent as the Blue Wizard continued pacing up and down in front of her, leaving him alone with his thoughts.

Túdhin, who had accompanied her this day and was now laying by the bench, watched Pallando carefully with his keen yellow eyes.

He smells almost of fear, he observed.

This doesn't surprise me, the Aini replied, I, too, would be scared, if I were him. He had found serenity and balance, here, with this life, and he has gone on for centuries; then all of a sudden, I arrive and turn everything upside down...

The wolf sent her a feeling of understanding.

After several minutes, Pallando halted, frowning; he looked as he had made up his mind, but about what, he didn't tell.

"Now I leave you, Nerwen," he said in a gentle but resolute way, "I must take care of some chores."

The Maia stood promptly up, as did Túdhin.

"Of course, affairs of State cannot wait..."

Pallando interrupted her with a polite gesture and a tiny smile:

"No, no, I planned the day so that I could spend this time with you; but in view of what you told me, I must fix a few things. We will meet again tonight at dinner."

Nerwen then took her leave, but without bowing to him: since she had revealed who they both were, he had exempted her, at least in private, as she actually was an equal to him.

Leaving Pallando, the Maia returned to her lodging, where she found Aryon cleaning the blade of his sword, which he had asked the palace smith to sharpen. As soon as he saw her coming, the prince placed down his weapon and asked her:

"How's it with Pallando?"

"He's very troubled," Nerwen answered, "He wants to recover his memory at any cost, but he doesn't know how; and I don't know what I could recommend him, as for this," she concluded with a sorry face.

"Why don't you ask Yavanna for advice?" Aryon suggested. She looked at him as if he had just revealed a magic formula; she slapped her forehead.

"I didn't think about this, yet," she admitted, "It looks like an excellent idea!"

Therefore, they got some food – in this case, being it afternoon hours, a piece of peach tart and some sweet cider – then Nerwen laid down on the bed, where Aryon would watch over her as he had done the last few times, and contacted her Mistress.

This time, Yavanna received her in the garden, where she was sunbathing on the edge of the pond. Seeing her arriving through the inter-dimensional door, she smiled at her and stood up, wrapping herself in a towel.