Chapter XXXI: The Stay in Barlyth

The next morning, Parànel brought her Aryon's invitation to have breakfast with him. Uncertain if it was pure politeness or another way to keep an eye on her, Nerwen followed the handmaid, who led her to a terrace looking towards the town; the prince was waiting for her, gazing in the distance leaning on the balustrade, which small wooden columns were shaped in spirals. Hearing her approaching, he turned, and their eyes met. Once more, the light in the ice-blue depths of Aryon's gaze struck Nerwen.

"Thank you for your invitation, Lord Aryon," she said in Avarin. He motioned her to take a seat at the small round table, set for two.

"It's a pleasure, Lady Nerwen," he answered in the same idiom, with a certain warmth, "Anyway, I don't like having my meals alone alone," he added in Common Speech, as having second thoughts, or repenting an effusiveness that maybe he hadn't in him, "Your mastery of our tongue is improving on a daily basis," he concluded, completely changing the topic.

Nerwen blinked, confused by those sudden variations in his behaviour.

"Thank you," she said, sitting, in reply to his observation, "Now that everybody around me speaks it, it'll be easier to learn. I intend also using your library to read and enhance even more my knowledge."

There was a far quicker way to learn the Avarin tongue, the same that had allowed her to learn Khuzdul and Ovestron, but it required a deep trust between the two parts, such as she had shared with Yavanna and Gandalf; therefore, at the moment this system was out of question for her.

Aryon signalled to a servant, then turned again to Nerwen:

"If you wish, after breakfast I can take you to the library and I'll instruct the Keeper of the Books to assist you," he offered.

The servant came to them with a steaming teapot and poured the hot liquid into the two commensals' cups. A fragrant scent arose and Nerwen recognised the strong black tea, aromatised with bergamot, which was the favourite breakfast beverage among the Kindi, as she had ascertained during the days of her journey with the prince and his escort.

"I thank you for your courtesy, Lord Aryon," she said, even if she was sure it wasn't simple politeness: after all, the day before the queen herself had given him the direct order to see to it, therefore it wasn't his choice. Besides, probably he had to instruct the librarian about what he could let her see and what not: surely, there were documents inappropriate for a foreigner to see, especially one about whom they hadn't decided yet the level of reliability.

She sighed inwardly: she had to walk on eggshells, and this was something she hated, because she much more preferred to be frank and blunt; however, she wasn't willing to risk being misinterpreted.

"You're welcome," the prince answered, "I'll use the opportunity to make some research about the Istari, even if I think I won't find much information."

His candour contrasted blatantly with the typical prudence of the Avari, and Nerwen felt even more confused.

"I could tell you something by myself, about them," she considered coolly, "but of course you could choose not believing me."

The prince stretched his lips in a sarcastic smile, to which she responded with one equally ironic; at this point, Aryon burst out laughing, shortly but, finally, really amused.

"You're not easily put on the spot," he considered.

"I agree," Nerwen confirmed placidly, but amused, she too.

Meanwhile, the servant had brought up bread, butter, honey and fruit jams, as well as soft cheese, hardboiled eggs, corned beef and an odd cream, white and rather compact.