Chapter VI: An Old Friend

In the following days, Nerwen studied closely the maps of Middle-earth that Círdan had made available to her, memorizing names, locations, distances and shapes of the various lands. Furthermore, she read many books and treatises on populations, realms, customs and traditions, history, as well as herbs and animals of Middle-earth, using the prodigious reading and learning speed typical of her race.

The ninth day after the receiving of Mithrandir's message through the blackbird, the Maia was buried as usual in documents, scrolls and books. She had found a history essay about the Dwarves, Aulë's beloved children, a tome totally intact because no one except the Dwarves knew Khuzdul, and the book was there surely only out of love of collection. An illustrious historian had written it; wanting to learn more about this people, as well as exercise in Khuzdul, she had begun to read it. At a certain point, she arrived at the narration of the terrible battle of Azanulbizar (or Nanduhirion, according to the Sindarin name), fought in 2799 between Dwarves and Orcs in front of the gates of the fallen Dwarven realm of Moria. The description of the deeds of the young Dwarven prince Thorin struck her particularly: on this day, he became known for his indomitable courage, which brought him, after having his shield broken, to pick up a large oaken branch and go on with the battle, earning that way the suggestive name of Oakenshield.

At that moment, someone entered the library and addressed her with a quiet:

"Good afternoon, Nerwen."

The Istar lifted her gaze, the interruption vaguely annoying her; she saw a Man, very old but with an imperious poise, very tall, with long grey hair and beard, and equally grey robes. On his head, he sported a big pointy hat, again grey and somewhat banged up, and in his hands, he carried a wooden staff, a rough crystal set on its upper end.

"Good afternoon to you", Nerwen responded to the greeting, making an effort to be polite in spite of the slight irritation, "Do I know you?"

"It has been a long time since the last time we met", the old man said, chuckling, "and my appearance was very different, then. Maybe it's better I show myself to you as I was once..."

He raised one hand and made a gesture with his fingers; the crystal on top of his staff glowed up, and a thread of bright light came out of it, twisting around the Man's shape until it created a cocoon so radiant, Nerwen had to squint in order to avoid to be blinded by it. It took just a few moments, then the light vanished, and in the place of the old man there was now a handsome youngster, clean shaved, tall and brown haired, with piercing eyes of a shade between grey and blue; by her utter amazement, Nerwen recognised her ancient friend, now a colleague as an Istar.

 It took just a few moments, then the light vanished, and in the place of the old man there was now a handsome youngster, clean shaved, tall and brown haired, with piercing eyes of a shade between grey and blue; by her utter amazement, Nerwen reco...

"Olórin!", she cried joyfully, jumping up and running to him. He laughed heartedly and, leaning quickly his staff against the wall, welcomed her in his arms, lifted her up and spun her around; being she so minute compared to him, it wasn't difficult.