Chapter XXIX: Gaerlonn

The next day, as planned, they awakened Nerwen while the sky was just paling at east. They hurriedly broke their fast with a black tea scented with bergamot and some cracker similar to lembas, even if not as sweet and fragrant, and then they set forth following the coast, keeping close to the trees. They stopped just once at half-morning, to have a quick snack – dried fruits and a tasty ready-mix of nuts, hazelnuts, almonds and pistachios – then they marched on. It was almost noon when they finally reached their destination, a massive, low defensive tower built of an almost black stone, placed on a hill at the sea-shore, upon which waved a long banner with a red tree on a dark-green field: the emblem of the Kindi, as Aryon explained to Nerwen.

They halted just for the time needed to have a warm morsel together with the small garrison of the tower, then Aryon chose six of his people, among them the female Elf commanding the squad, to escort him and Nerwen, and gave instructions to have mounts prepared for them. After finishing their meal, they exited and found eight magnificent horses with crownpiece, bit and bridles, but without saddle, replaced by a wooden cloth secured around the belly by belts. This was indeed the way to mount typical among the Silvan Elves, used also in Lothlórien. During the First Age, Nerwen tried the saddle with stirrups, customary to the Men, and she had adopted that way to ride since, finding it more comfortable; but for a few days, she wouldn't have any problem to adjust.

She caressed the bay mare's snout they had assigned her and greeted her mentally, so to make her acquaintance. The mare perked her ears in surprise, vaguely unsettled, but the Maia sent her a reassuring feeling and the animal calmed immediately down.

Thanks for carrying me, Nerwen told her, caressing her fawn neck.

It's a pleasure, the horse answered, You're small, you don't weigh much.

The Aini frowned a little: something in the mare's statement suggested a precise reason, thus she examined her. She discovered she was pregnant, just a few weeks; the minuscule embryo looked healthy, but it wasn't very firmly attached to the uterus.

You mustn't exert yourself, she said then, or you'll lose your baby.

A feeling of alarm radiated from the mare, but again she calmed her down:

It's fine, as long as you take it easy.

"I cannot ride this mare," she announced in a loud voice, "She just started a pregnancy, but she risks abortion: keep her into the stable and make sure she doesn't exert herself."

Aryon glowered:

"And how do you know?" he asked. She turned to glare at him, one hand on her hip; she didn't answer, just lifting one eyebrow.

Aryon felt annoyed by her attitude; then he recalled her capability to communicate with animals – she told him about Calad and the dolphin, so there was no reason to doubt she talked to horses, too – and felt silly.

He hated feeling silly.

"Of course," he said through clenched teeth, then he turned to the groom and reported to him what Nerwen had said. The other Avar answered in a protesting tone, but the prince, intolerant to any objection, glared at him in a way that would incinerate a dragon; the poor Elf hastily bowed and seized the mare's bridles, ready to lead her away.

Nerwen patted the mare's side to take her leave and mentally wished her good. She got back a feeling of gratefulness.

Aryon approached the Istar.

"The groom claims this mare has never been covered," he said, in a tone that demanded an explanation. Nerwen glared at him again: it looked like he didn't want to give up doubting her.