Chapter XV: Arrival at Rivendell

About ten days later, in the afternoon, Nerwen arrived on the banks of the Bruinen, or Loudwater as it was called in the Common Speech. The journey had been solitary and undisturbed, as she had neither met any travellers nor encountered any other peril, after the clumsy ambush of Jack and his accomplices.

Approaching the river, Nerwen sensed its defensive spell, an impassable barrier to those who weren't invited to Rivendell, similar to Melian's Girdle that, a long time ago, protected Doriath with enchantments of dismay and folly. Only those who knew the Elven magic could create an opening in this invisible fence, cross the ford, and so entering Elrond's realm.

Nerwen called Calad, making her perch on her wrist, and then led Thilgiloth on the bank of the Bruinen. She projected her mind toward the barrier, which was similar to a cobweb of ethereal energy, invisible but very powerful. Studying the barrier's magic briefly, Nerwen realised that its defensive action would raise the river's waters, which would sweep away every incautious creature daring to cross it with malevolent intents. She wove therefore an adequate counter-enchantment, which opened delicately a safe passage, allowing her to advance undisturbed in the low waters of the ford, until she reached the stony bank on the opposite side.

OOO

While sitting on a sunny terrace in his palace at Imladris, Elrond suddenly raised his head from the book he was reading: his mind had just perceived the perturbation caused by the action of someone who was manipulating Elven magic to open a passa...

While sitting on a sunny terrace in his palace at Imladris, Elrond suddenly raised his head from the book he was reading: his mind had just perceived the perturbation caused by the action of someone who was manipulating Elven magic to open a passage in the barrier on the Bruinen. The way it was modified was definitely a non-hostile action, but he wondered who could it be: usually, those who came to his realm sent word to him... except for Mithrandir, he thought, amused, who always arrived unexpectedly, even if well-accepted. However, to him Elrond had given the mental key that all the inhabitants of Rivendell possessed, therefore he wouldn't perceive that it was the wizard crossing the Bruinen. Whoever it was, it wasn't an enemy – otherwise the protective spell would spring into action – and possessed great powers, at least as much as Mithrandir.

He stood up and clapped his hands: immediately, the Palace Administrator showed up.

"Lindir, prepare to welcome guests, but I don't know how many they are. They crossed the ford right now."

Lindir blinked, surprised: not everyone had the capability to cross the river without Lord Elrond's prior permission, therefore he realised correctly that it had to be someone very powerful.

"Understood, my liege," he said, bowing before taking his leave. He went on slowly: if the host or hosts had just passed the river, their journey would need at least one hour before crossing the slender bridge leaping over the young Bruinen, and arriving at the foot of the long staircase leading to the main entrance of the palace.

OOO

Just past the barrier, Nerwen signalled to Calad she could resume flying, and the hawk jumped away, much more preferring to glide on the airflows rather than bouncing on the Istar's wrist while riding.