Chapter XVI: In Elrond's Realm

(This chapter has not been edited yet, pls forgive oddities & mistakes)

Chapter XVI: In Elrond's Realm

Dining, Nerwen had the opportunity, after a very long time, to meet Glorfindel. The Elven High Lord approached immediately the Istar.

"Nerwen Laiheri, it's such a great pleasure to see you again," he said gallantly, bowing to kiss her hand, "They just informed me about your presence, otherwise I'd have come earlier to greet you."

Nerwen looked at him from the shortness of her stature: if Elrond was tall, Glorfindel was even taller, being over 1,90 m; his long golden hair shone in the light of the lamps in the hall.

"Glad to see you again, Glorfindel," she smiled at him: she had always liked this Vanya of very noble ascent, even if between them there had been nothing more than smiles and flirtatious gazes, "but now I'm only Nerwen the Green, of the Order of t...

"Glad to see you again, Glorfindel," she smiled at him: she had always liked this Vanya of very noble ascent, even if between them there had been nothing more than smiles and flirtatious gazes, "but now I'm only Nerwen the Green, of the Order of the Istari," she added.

This news struck Glorfindel greatly.

"An Istar!" he cried, "I had no idea more of them would arrive..."

"I said the same," Elrond intervened, amused: he and his general often acted or talked in identical way, after all the centuries they knew each other. They were as Elrond and Elros could have been, if the latter would have decided for the life of the Firstborn.

"Like the others, I'm here on behalf of the Valar," Nerwen explained in a low voice, "I'm looking for the Ents, but it seems nobody knows anything about them: neither Mithrandir, nor Tom Bombadil, nor Lord Elrond."

"If a great erudite like Lord Elrond isn't able to tell you something about them," Glorfindel claimed in a regretful tone, "much less can I: I always cared much more for weapons than books..."

At that moment, Elladan and Elrohir joined them.

"Nice to see you again, aunt Nerwen," they greeted her, calling her the way she had asked them to; Glorfindel rose an eyebrow, perplexed, before remembering their kinship, "Estel told us he met you, this afternoon," Elladan went on – yes, it had to be him, Nerwen decided, still not entirely sure on how singling out each of the two twins.

"You made quite an impression on him, he never stopped twittering excitedly how beautiful you are," Elrohir added, laughing, finishing his brother's sentence, as it often happened between them. Nerwen, too, laughed:

"I had no idea I made such a great impression on him... Are you serious?"

"Yeah, and I can't disagree with him," Elladan confirmed, winking at her, "Wouldn't you be my aunt, I'd woo you gladly."

"Elladan!" Elrond pretended to reprimand him, rising an eyebrow, perfectly conscious it was only a joke, "Don't disrespect Lady Nerwen!"

All laughed, but Nerwen noticed Elladan casting a sideway glance at a beautiful female Elf with auburn hair, who was standing just a few steps away from them, engrossed in a conversation with other young ladies; as feeling his gaze, the Elf turned her head and made eye contact with the prince, blushed and hastily turned again to her friends.