Chapter XXVII: The Sea of Rhun

Chapter XXVII: The Sea of Rhûn

Nerwen tarried in Gobelamon a fortnight, comfortably lodged at The Palace of Stars. The owner, a very clever, tall and bony Man named Dronegan, with thick fawn hair, took quite a fancy at her from the first moment, when she bargained the price of her stay in the inn with such a fierce determination, she had him crying she was like a merchantress of Vinàsgar, meaning – as Nerwen had later learned – a great compliment, as the merchants of that town had a reputation in being the most capable negotiators in all Dorwinion.

Such fancy proved very helpful for her when she asked about a way to reach Eryn Rhûn: because of the very tense diplomatic relations between the two kingdoms, there were so many bureaucratic barriers to overcome, it was almost impossible to go there except for commercial reasons closely surveyed from both parts: however, one could do it by the back door, like the smuggled goods passing back and forth: mainly wine, firewater and grain from Dorwinion, and gems, fine cloths and metals from the Eastern Forest.

There were two ways to get to Eryn Rhûn: by land, crossing the Celduin and going east; or by sea. Dronegan advised her against the first, as bandits of both parts infested the territory, attacking the commercial convoys going back and forth between the two kingdoms; for this reason, strong contingents of heavily armed mercenaries always escorted the convoys. By sea, it was much safer.

"I know someone," Dronegan told her confidentially, "an Elf of the Eastern Forest named Corch, who sails between Gaerlonn and Gobelamon for more or less... hum... regular commerce. Let's say that not always the cargo manifest declares everything he's got in the hold, huh? Sometimes he transports passengers, too. I wouldn't describe him as recommendable, but with an adequate reward, you can trust him."

Nerwen didn't like much the whole thing, but she didn't see much choice: either join a convoy and risking finding herself in the middle of a fight; or embarking on a ship full of smugglers, but who wouldn't drag her into a fight. At the worst, they could try to rob her – like it had happened on the Great East Road with Jack and his accomplices – taking her by surprise, but if she would stay on constant alert, she would be ready to confront possible dirty tricks. As it was the lesser of two evils, she therefore chose to go by sea.

Dronegarn organised a meeting with captain Corch, in a tavern at the port of Gobelamon, out of town, on the Celduin riverbank, and he escorted her personally.

Corch was a tall and brawny Elf, with steel-grey eyes and brown, curly hair that, unlike the western Elves, he sported down his neck; a well-trimmed goatee – this, too, an uncommon detail for an Elf – decorated his chin and upper lip. From his looks, he seemed of Noldorin ascent; Nerwen would even call him attractive, if it weren't for his sneer.

Together with Dronegan, she took a seat at the table where the smuggler was already sitting.

"Captain Corch, may I introduce you Nerwen the Green?" the owner of The Palace of the Stars said, "Lady Nerwen, this is captain Corch."

Corch addressed her with a sitting small bow, showing good manners, if nothing else.

"Nice to meet you, Lady Nerwen," he said with cold politeness, "Your title qualifies you as a member of the Order of the Istari, am I right?"

"You're right," she confirmed laconically: Gandalf had a controversial reputation in Dorwinion, and some recalled his name with respect, some others with mistrust, according to the circumstances of the meeting. However, she had no intention to hide her official identity.

"Well, I won't mess around with you," Corch commented with a mocking grin, "I don't want you to throw any lightning at me, or transform me into a goat."