Chapter Fifty-Six

Start from the beginning

"So does he not do those kinds of things anymore?" Harry asks. "You said 'used to,'" he adds to clarify.

"Oh, well," I stammer, "things sort of changed after the depression." 

Great, another subject Harry loves. He gives a weak smile before looking out as we slowly turn by the now emptying park.

"Have you enjoyed yourself tonight?" I ask, wanting to change the subject before he can upset like he did this morning.

"Very much so," he nods. 

I don't wait for him to ask and offer up, "I've had a grand time, Harry." 

"Good," His shoulders relax a little, and his smile lingers longer. "You know, I like spending this much time with you."

"Not sick of me yet, are you?" I ask, chuckling a little nervously. I never dreamed of spending every minute of a full day with him. But goodness, do I have a million thanks for the Lord when I say my prayers tonight.

Harry shrugs his shoulders slowly, his eyes raising and falling in unison as his mouth twists to the side. 

"Gee, thanks," I laugh, looking forward again. 

I let out a heavy sigh as my horse rises with the music. When I glance down again at him, I catch Harry gazing up at me with such a sweetness that I think my heart will implode.

"You sick of me?" he asks quietly. 

"Never."

"Promise?" he presses. 

My horse brings me down again and I can feel myself falling- no plummeting- back into his intoxicating gaze. I shake my head as I try to push down the deep urge to throw myself off of this dumb horse and onto him.

"I promise," I say, holding my pinky finger up. 

Harry's eyes crinkle as his pink lips lift into that goofy grin of his. He wraps his little finger around mine and pulling my hand towards him, presses his lips against my finger.  Our eyes hang on to each other, and like the swell of the ocean tide, I'm overcome with longing.

"Oi!" Niall hollers, "Get a room!"

I break our gaze to see Niall once again standing on the stirrups, but this time looking back at us and laughing. Lucy leans over and pushes him. He nearly falls off the horse making the ride operate yell again, "Sir! You have to sit!"

"Sorry." Harry leans back on his heals and groans. "He's a complete berk." 

"He's a good egg. I like him," I laugh. "And I like you with your friends."

"Yeah, well," he sighs, rubbing his jaw. "I think I like me more when I'm with you."

My heart leaps inside of my chest. Hanging on to the ring above him, he leans forward again. Like a magnet, it sends a jolt through my body.

"I like me better when I'm with you," I say. "Well," I add just to toy with that little grin of his, "except for maybe in the morning." 

With a sharp laugh, his face lights up. 

"Um, excuse me, miss? But what's wrong with me in the morning?" he asks.

"You're far too excited," I laugh. "Honestly, I'm exhausted now, Harry!"

"Woman!" he exclaims. "You're supposed to be knackered. That's the whole point of having a full day."

"I could have still had a full day and a good sleep in the morning," I point out.

With a shrug of his broad shoulders, he smugly replies, "Tamayto, tomahto."

As the carousel makes its final turn, my horse makes a final leap forward. I land just above him.