Seeing Secrets

Seeing Secrets

2011

            She hated getting a Charge in the middle of the night. She slept in very little clothing. Usually it was a tank top and underwear, nothing else. That was what she was wearing tonight. Then she was Called and she had to grab the first things that reached her hand. The bra she chose was lacy and black. It was clearly visible through the white, tight tank top that was all but see through on a good night. Her tattoos on her back were visible too but she didn’t care. She’d grabbed a tiny black skirt that she usually worn when going to collect a teenager from a party and she wanted to be seen.

            Unfortunately, she’d grabbed the first pair of shoes that she touch and they were black Stilettos that were six inches and though very sexy, were hell on the feet. She pulled them as she Dissolved. She knew she appeared to melt but she was just flooded with a warm feeling and she could move freely. When she Resolved at the place where someone was going to die, she was ready.

            Arabella looked around to assess the situation and decide if she should become the Shadow, turn invisible or stay visible. She saw she was at a party and would fit in with her outfit. But she didn’t really want people gawking at her and she knew they would be. At the risk of sounding conceited, she knew she was very beautiful. She would draw more attention with her tattooed angel wings. Smiling at that thought, she decided to just become the Shadow.

            She walked normally into the party keeping a look out for someone who could see her. Many people glanced in her direction but it could just be the cold feeling Death brings, or they could be looking at someone through her. She wanted to see the person who stared and even tried to redirect people’s attention to her. She would then watch them and Collect them when they died.

            Making no sound she moved from room to room keeping her eyes constantly on alert. She absent-mindedly played with her Triquetrous, or as known in the mythical world, at least the real one, the Mark of an Angel. She’d had it from the moment she died. Choosing not to think about her death now, she moved her hand to her tattoo on the inside of her right wrist.

            She’d traced it three or four times before she saw a girl and guy staring at her. They weren’t together but they were both staring at her. She didn’t know which one was going to die. They might both be dying, that’s happened only too often before. She decided she would keep an eye on both.

            The girl kept trying to point her out to her friends but when she realized they couldn’t see her, she stopped and was content to just throw Arabella puzzled looks every now and then. The guy wasn’t trying to point her out to anyone but stared at her none stop. Had she been normal she may have been upset or even scared but since she wasn’t normal, she allowed him to stare.

            “Macy, let’s just go, we’ll be okay. I had like one drink.” Arabella looked over and saw the girl. She felt a rush of sadness. Macy, the girl, looked over at her one last time. Arabella forced herself not to shake her head. She knew the girl wouldn’t get in the car if she did.

            But the rules of Death said that once someone was marked for Death, they would die. If an Angel tried to warn the person, they would survive to die another day. Death would get them in the end. That’s why she hated her job.

            “Are you sure?” Macy asked. Her friend sighed, rolled her eyes, grabbed Macy’s hand and pulled her towards the door. The girls laughed on the way out.

            Arabella walked towards them and, making herself totally invisible, she Dissolved and performing a bit of magic, she stayed in the state and moved with the girls and the car. When she suddenly felt a spike of cold, she stopped and stood on the side of the street, just watching. She noticed the girls were swerving back and forth and looked away. She heard the screech of tires and heard the devastating crash. She glanced over then. And she wished she hadn’t; Macy and her friend were still alive. The car was upside down and the girls were stuck to their seats with their seatbelts. They were crying and struggling to get out of the car. The friend dropped. She climbed out of the car, to go around to the other side to get Macy out.