But Anyna was on full hysterics now. "Isla, you were photographed in the embrace of that manwhore!"

What was she saying? "M-manwhore?"

The look that she gave me was harsh, "Yes! Manwhore! The biggest playboy to date! Gosh, Isla. What were you thinking? Don't tell me you don't know him!"

In my dazed state, I managed to shake my head weakly. I really didn't have an idea who he was. "N-no."

"You're in the same line of business and you don't know him? Jace Ezekiel Black, heir to the Nero Hotel Chain!" at my blank look, she rolled her eyes heavenwards, "Never mind if you don't know him. Just pray hard none of those pictures get on the internet."

---

Suffice to say, no picture got out from that night. Not one. So maybe Anyna was mistaken about that guy's identity. I don't even remember his name anymore. Not even his face, just the eyes, that height and that perfume I was sure was uniquely his.

I realized one thing from that night though. I pretty much didn't know anyone else aside from the few people I was forced to associate with on a regular basis. I wanted to google him just to be sure but since I'd forgotten his name and I would never risk asking Anyna and see her have another apoplectic fit, no thanks.

She acted as if it was a curse to have my name associated with that guy's.

I looked at my best friend who was out of it again. It was after classes on a Friday and she decided she was feeling like going to the mall. But here she was, passing her hand over the same rack of clothes for the last twenty minutes and still not choosing anything.

"Anyna," I called from where I sat.

She blinked a few times as if getting out of a haze "H-huh?"

"See anything you like? Because you know," I staged a shrug, "I haven't noticed that blank far-away look you've been sporting the whole time as you pretend to shop." I think I knew her reasons though. Her party was on Sunday, her eighteenth birthday party. And as I was finding out, the announcement of her engagement.

It took time for my words to sink in and her eyes narrowed at me, "Sarcasm doesn't suit you , Porter." but then a slow smile spread on her face as she looked to me.

It was a smirk now. And I looked at it worriedly, "I don't like that smile."

She skipped to my side and promptly dragged me out of my seat, "I want to dress you up! Please, Isla!" Anyna gave me her puppy eyes, locking me in a hug as she begged me with her expression.

"Oh no," I roamed my eyes to the clothes in that store, before whispering to her. "Their designs are too edgy and flashy. I can't wear those."

She pouted, looking my clothes over. A white button down cotton shirt and blue skinny jeans. Yes, my clothes were branded. Yes, they're as expensive as Anyna's flashy dresses but I would never wear uncomfortable clothes in the name of fashion.

She flicked me a glare, "You promised to wear red to my debut party!You promised, Isla! Are you backing out of that all of a sudden?" She stomped a foot like a misbehaving child and crossed her arms in front of me.

I exhaled a breath.

She's been sort of out lately, as if she's always preoccupied. Couldn't keep still. To suddenly see her as her normal self over buying me a dress... I sighed in defeat.

"Fine! But get me something comfortable. No crazy metallic embellishment and no spikes." Who knows why people need deadly weaponry as fashion statements? i didn't know.