Chapter Thirty-nine

Dylan's POV

I cocked my head at the sight of a black Audi sitting just outside when I got to Andy's apartment. It was just like Liam's. I half expected him to slide out of the front seat and wave me over. Fuck, I had forgotten all about that car. Andy's neighbour had probably hooked one of those lawyer types. Hmm, good for her. I should get him a car. Those thoughts recently were always bouncing around my head. I would buy him the state if I knew he would take it from me. But he always gave off one of those vibes that told me he didn't want shit from me, and that he'd have a fit if I got him anything.

Andy met me with an enthusiasm I'd never seen before. The moment I had slammed the door shut behind me, he had me pinned against the wall and had captured my lips in a fierce kiss. He tasted of sunshine and something sweet like sugar. When he finally pulled back I saw that his cheeks had powdered sugar.

"I've been waiting to do that," he grinned fiendishly as he padded back into the kitchen, while my eyes followed him helplessly. Getting the 'I love you' off my chest really had made him happier. He wore only black shorts that ended just above his knees, while his chest was left bare for me to admire. I should lock all the doors to keep him from leaving the house. After being jealous of the vet, both of his assistants and Bree, I was done. This man was mine.

"Anything needing slow heat on that stove?" I asked, hopeful.

He grimaced playfully, "Nah, everything requires my immediate and undivided attention."

"I should just lie down on the counter then. What's one more on the platter of the Iron chef?" I came over to the counter to peer up at him innocently.

He laughed at that. "Oh, I've got your iron right here." He looked down at his crotch wickedly before turning away to get something from his cupboards.

"I'd ask what you're making, but I don't really care, I'd eat it whatever it is."

"Good to have a man appreciative of my cooking. Alternatively you could learn not to chop off a hand while helping me." His tone was playful. He tended to be this way when he was being evasive. Fine. Whatever. It was probably something about his parents bothering him. I washed up at the sink beside him and rolled up my sleeves.

"Use me," I said, loving the double meaning of the phrase.

"Hmmmm... see what you did there," He breathed over my neck and made me shiver while standing directly behind me. Then he pointed at a pan of raw pastries. "Take, this," He handed me a container of what looked like beat-up eggs, "And use the brush to just paint the tops."

I liked helping him. It had a domestic feeling to it just being in the same space, working around him. Like we were a team. As if we were married.

"What new torture did your mom put you through today?" He asked and ruined the moment. True I'd complained most days about it but it wasn't like he could do anything about it to help. Mom would just be mom. And I would be me and ignore her as much as possible. As hard as I tried, I could never be her replacement Liam.

"She's hired her filming crew, and has had cameras set up all over their hotel suite and the Clarke's living rooms. She wants to capture us in regular loving day to day activities for a more realistic view of love." I laughed. Here I was, playing right into it. The husband asks the wife how her day was. "She also wants a forest of Christmas trees and light snow to fall every time someone steps into the room."

"Really now? That actually sounds kinda cool," Andy replied and I rolled my eyes. He had completely missed the point. This was my mother coming on to the Holidays every year. She felt this weird pressure to make every Christmas seem like some magical experience. And I know and understood why she did it. I just didn't feel the need to join in on the insanity of it all. She couldn't resurrect Liam no matter how hard she tried. And she tried so very hard every year.

And I always felt worse. Because I knew what he was going through and did nothing to save him. "Yeah. Okay," I conceded. I started when his phone started ringing. Obviously alarmed, Andy dropped everything to pick it up. He only moved a short distance away before answering. Still strange. Couldn't he just stay right here? He had four pots on the fire, and the light of his ovens were on.

"Hey, tell me good news." His voice was urgent. Tight with worry. I'd never seen him like this for anyone else but me. Slowly, I placed the pan of pastries into the oven and leaned against his refrigerator, listening.

"It's not what you think..." He was protesting. "No...." He listened some more "No! Jesus, fuck. I'll be right there. Just... please, don't do anything. I'll be right there. I'm on my way." His eyes were wild, as he burst into action. He put on a shirt he'd probably picked up from a chair and I heard keys jingling.

"What happened? Is everything -?"

"I've gotta go. Now." His voice came without emotion. And first the first time I felt afraid when he spoke to me.

"Now? But -"

"Turn off the fire... Stay here. Please. Don't go anywhere. Lock the doors and don't go anywhere."

"Andy!" I didn't understand. And he sounded like a lunatic. My mind travelled everywhere as he pulled on his sneakers hastily. Who was it on the phone? What was happening? What the heck was going on?

"Please trust me. Don't leave this apartment." He came over and pressed a feverish kiss to my lips. "Please." Then he rushed out of the door, locking it with his key. I heard his steps running and went to the window.

I saw as he approached the Audi I had admired when I was coming in. The car responded to a button he pressed on a new keypad and the engine started smoothly. He jumped into the driver side and pulled off the pavement in the car that made an all too familiar purr. What the fuck had he done?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Hi world! Two chapters at once, whooooaaaa. LOL, enjoy. Check out the picture to see Andy's new ride, and die a little inside with jealousy.

I'll be updating again by tomorrow so you've got 24 hours to verbally abuse me for fucking with your heads and getting you all worked up. Hehe ;)

Stay golden till then.

-Ender Xen