Chapter Six

Nick casted as Andrew Garfield

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dylan's POV

He was doing it again. Looking at me like he was ready to eat me. I swear I could hear him growl possessively. Those fucking brown eyes did that thing that made me feel as if I was being hunted, glinting like liquid gold in the evening light. I sucked in my breath slowly, trying to remember my name, along with all the reasons something between us wouldn't work out. Yeah, right. An us, so ridiculous. He was so ordinary. Too ordinary. No, he was extraordinary. Shit, why was I even thinking about this?

He spoke again when he seemed to understand that I wasn't going to say anything. "You'll get use to him being around. And I'll check in on him too."

"That's really not necessary," I rushed to say, not wanting to have those eyes on me every day, "I told you I hired a trainer."

He stared me down and I lowered my gaze as a reflex. "I will check in on Spotty. Every day to make sure you're not being a dick about this." He said resolutely.

Of course it was the dog. I felt that black feeling rise again and recognized it this time. I first felt it when that guy Nick was flirting with him, looking him up and down like he was free meal. Nick was attractive too, with those furtive brown eyes and heart-shaped face. I had hated him instantly though. But envied how he could banter with Andy so easily. Yeah. Now I was jealous of a dog. "You don't have to do that."

"I know I don't have to, Dylan. I'm saying that I want to make sure you adjust to this situation, after all you pretty much suck with animals."

My eyes snapped to his finally, this guy could really piss me off in seconds. "Yeah? Well... You just plain suck," I finished lamely.

"That brings back memories," He mused, straightening up and wagging his brows at me. I 'ha-ha-ed' politely but didn't comment.

He definitely didn't like that. His brows pulled down into a sharp 'V' and he clenched his jaws as if biting back words. "You're really going to play forget? I remember every goddamn second of it because it was good, it was -"

"A distraction," I said and hated myself a little more, Andy recoiled immediately, as if slapped. I wanted to scream my frustration, and that he had made me feel so good. Had helped calm the screams in my head that otherwise gave me headaches. I wanted to tell him how being on my knees in front of him gave me a clarity that nowhere else had, and I wanted to say how I would love do it again. Fuck. Why wasn't I saying all of those much hotter, more-likely-to-get-me-laid things?

"Right. Of course, Mr. Ryman. I'll leave you to your all-important life. God forbid someone distract you from being a fucking asshole." Damn. His tall, toned physique made it across the room with surprising speed, "Do yourself a favor, don't fight your Jiminy." I sucked in a breath as he left, slamming my door.

I wasn't wooden, was I? He couldn't mean that I was as inhuman as Pinocchio trying to be a real boy, in need an external conscience? Except... Andy was being that conscience right now. Would I have thought twice about Spotty without him? The answer made me feel ashamed. He had to leave now, because he was better off without dealing with me.

I ignored my job notifications coming through my phone. Kicking myself for forgetting to weasel his number out of him again. Now all I had was numerous requests for sign off on layouts for the new office spaces my father had dictated. I couldn't give a shit about the damn company. I just wished I felt as brave as everyone thought I was so I could tell my parents to fuck off.