Chapter Thirty-eight

Andy's POV

I still couldn't let him move in. With the press hot on his ass about marrying Alyssa, should he really move out of his manor to live in a dude's tiny apartment? His answer, despite all obvious issues, was still yes. Of course he still wanted to do it. In his head it would be his own small rebellion to show his dad he was still resisting.

I understood that. Then I crushed it, and watched the hurt in his eyes as I sided with his father, yet again. When would I stop hurting my blue eyed boy?

Ryman called as soon as Dylan left my apartment to walk home. He hadn't driven, since I thought his fancy car was like waving a flag that he was here.

"You've got balls," He said, and I bit back a retort for the sake of keeping mine. "I'm just checking in to make sure you still know who you work for."

"You mean if I had gotten cold feet on you?" I forced myself to snigger.

"Well, I had to be sure after hearing about your disgusting declaration of love, you can understand my concern for my son's emotional well-being..." The cold voice trailed off.

"With all due respect... fuck that, Mr. Ryman," I retorted.

He laughed, a short amused sound that almost made me drop the phone. Thank god, he'd bought it. "I like you, Andy... You're funny. Just don't mess it up. I find it easier for my boy to listen to me, by hearing your voice, but don't get cocky. I can get this done without you."

I heard the hidden threat. Don't you go falling in love, or I'll kill you. "Understood sir. Anything else?"

"Now that you mentioned it, there is something," From his voice I could tell it was the real reason for his call. "My wife, falls into quite the depression around this time..."

He took such a long time after that to speak that I asked, "What do you want from me then, I can't see what I can do about that, carry her to a shrink."

"You just stopped being funny." His voice held a warning, and he continued, "She's going to want to do all sorts of things, it's her way of grieving. If I humor it, Dylan has to as well. I don't care how ridiculous he thinks it is, I need him to play along for her sake. Make him see that will you?"

"Hmm... Shouldn't be too hard."

"Good. I knew you'd be up for it. And as always I reward good work. Get yourself a car, Andy. Who knows what else I might want you to get done. I want you mobile at all times, do you understand? Get a good one too, you've got the money for it now." He hung up before I could say another word. The next notification that came through showed two transaction records. One was another two hundred and fifty large. Then the other was half a million dollars.

Fuckhead sent a message just after that. A picture of a lustrous black Audi R8 was attached. It's already been ordered in your name. Make the payment this evening so you know it's yours, and start cruising. Say thank you.

I couldn't help but think that if I were another person I might have started pushing drugs. The kind of green Ryman had could turn carbon dioxide into oxygen.

I could only think one thing. How the fuck would I explain this to Dylan?

Bree's message came through just after I had signed off the cheque to pay for my new car and was getting in. The whole business left my insides all knotted up. In any other situation getting a car like this would send me through the roof. But now, I only felt guilt, and a whole lot of anxiety.

We got him. He wants to meet in three hours. Bree's message was short and to the point. Typical of when she was really super busy.

I responded in the same manner. Remember to get to Natalie. Run the scene. And be safe.