Chapter Thirty-one

Andy's POV

His mouth tasted of mint from his mouthwash, and a little of his sadness seemed to be on his tongue too. Insecurities aside, I knew that Dylan hated this entire sham with the wedding. His father is a megalomaniac that needed to be taken down. If we focused on that for just a little while longer, we could be together without having to worry about him.

I smiled at him, just a little through the thoughts swirling around my head, "You are beautiful," I tell him. And I didn't mean the clothes and expensive jewellery. His blue eyes took in the compliment, as if he recognized exactly how I meant it, and he returned my smile. "I'll be right here waiting, okay?"

"Okay." Then he looked at me and asked, "You sure? Didn't you have something to work on tonight?"

"Nothing big," I reassured, knowing he would need me around tonight. I didn't know how he would come home to me after this. "I can stay over. Me and Spotty have a date tonight." A lot actually had to happen tonight. My stomach was constantly heavy throughout it all.

Dylan brushed the front of his shirt, fussing for wrinkles before a thought occurred to him. "Not with that vet that has his eye on you right?" He frowned. Sexy.

I laughed that one off, feeling awkward, "There's no way Nick - or Romeo - have a chance. Not even when you're not around."

Dylan pressed his lips against mine again, and this time I only tasted mint.

I didn't lie to Dylan. But I did have to go to Romeo's tonight. Not because of Spotty, but I decided to take him along after all. Spotty loved Romeo, and it would give me a good start for the favour I had to ask.

Spotty wheeled along comfortably now, matching my stride excitedly as we made our way down the pavement. I kept up a steady stream of encouragement anyway, since the dog was an attention whore. He just loved when you talked to him, I suppose it made him feel more human as he barked back every now and then.

Romeo opened his door with no shirt on when I rang the buzzer like a madman. "You fucking idiot." Then he saw Spotty, 'What, is he alright?"

"I guess, but is it normal for them to watch Lady Gaga and learn to hog attention?"

"I want to see you deal with kids one day," he replied darkly.

"Can I come in?" I saw him hesitate and frowned. Then I began to piece it together and was reaching a conclusion just as Nick padded into view wearing yellow sunshine briefs with his hands still cuffed. "Oh." I hid Spotty's eyes and the dog went crazy trying to lick my hand.

"Hey, Mr. Dreamboat." Nick slurred, obviously a little tipsy, "Lemme guess, you wanna threesome." He smirked like he'd solved a mystery and waggled his eyebrows at me.

Romeo cleared his throat with a spot of blush in his cheeks, I didn't know he could feel embarrassment. He didn't correct Nick, raising his eyebrows at me, offering.

"Uh, no. But I'll just get to the point real quick. I should probably write it down." I got inside with Spotty rushing ahead where Nick immediately crouched and started fussing with with the dog's hair and making loving sounds.

"Nick, go back to bed, I'll be right there," Romeo closed the door, ignoring Nick's needy whine as he retreated up the stairs.

I whistled low, "I feel like an idiot. Sorry." I apologized because I would've been pissed if someone did to me what I was doing to him. "It's kinda important though."

"It better be, "Romeo glowered.

"It is. It's just that you were a fucking whiz in medical school and I wanted to know if you can maybe use a connection to find out... God how do even say this?" I pinched my nose while Romeo waited. "Dylan had a brother, who supposedly committed suicide two years ago. I heard he was bagged, and examined, I just want to know what's on those official reports."