CHAPTER 55: The Machine

Start from the beginning

"Heya Alphys." Sans said, breaking my train of thought about the mysterious machine. "We're here." Sans waved as she jumped slightly at the sudden sound of his voice.

"O-Oh! Good! I-I was j-just setting the
s-s-settings on this d-darn thing." Alphys said holding up the small remote sheepishly.

What are they talking about? What's going on? Sans said he would explain. Where is the explanation?

"Any troubles?" Sans asked, walking over to the panel and machine. "You didn't create this from scratch." He said, putting his hand gently onto the machine.

"N-No troubles." She said, answering his question. "A-And no. I d-didn't create this
f-from scratch. I needed to g-get this done as soon a-as possible, so I-I modified a
m-machine  that survived t-the bombing." She said, twiddling her thumbs. "H-have you seen this machine b-before?"

There was a moment of hesitation in his voice for a split second. A small intake of breath as if he slipped up somewhere. It was so small I don't think she would have noticed.

"No. It just doesn't look like something you'd make." Sans said, sighing softly.

"O-oh." Alphys said, as the room fell into an awkward silence between the three of us. My body aches for some noise, but the lab was strangely silent.

After what felt like hours, the mere seconds that went by I finally blurted after a while. "Okay. What is going on?"

This made them both turn to me in a surprised manner. Seeing how I grabbed both of their attention, I continued. "You dragged me here. And said you'd explain, Sans. I want to know why I'm here." I said, huffing.

"Oh that's right." Sans grinned a little. Well, I think he did. His cheekbones seemed to rise a bit, almost out of relief. "You're going to go into that machine-"

"I'm going to what?" I interrupted, my eyes widening. "There's NO way I'm going in there! That thing is creepy!" I stiffened.

"Let me finish." Sans growled slightly. "It's going to cure your split personality." He said very plainly.
Cure me? I don't have to live with this demon inside of me for the rest of my life.?

"Oh, That's right, Alphys." Sans said, snapping slightly. "Will this hurt? Splitting her soul and all?" He said under his breath.

"N-Not that I know of." Alphys said. "I-I never got a chance t-to test it. F-Frisk will be the first o-one." Alphys said as Sans turned towards her, slightly angry.

"What happens if something goes wrong with the machine?! What if it just caused her soul to tear even more, letting the other personality take even more control?!" He ranted.

What are they talking about?
Did they find a cure for my situation? Or are they making it worse?

I still couldn't wrap my brain around the soul thing and how there is more science then we could have ever dreamed of. It was both terrifying and intriguing.

"I-I ran the d-diagnostics and I'm s-sure it'll work." Alphys assured. "I-I'm sure. It'll c-cause no harm t-to her." Alphys said, and mumbled something along the lines of "Not again..."

Sans nodded slightly. As if he were unsure about this project.
Do I really have to step inside of this machine? It looks really sketchy.

"Are you sure?" Sans said, looking at me a bit.

Alphys wavered a bit, a bead of sweat rolling gown the side of her face. "W-We'll.. it might
h-hurt because of t-the splitting of t-the soul." Alphys said, completely contradicting herself.

Sans looked over at her with a sigh of annoyance. "So what you're saying is you have no idea if this will work or hurt?"

She nodded slightly. As if she wanted to say that she was sorry or something. I knew she was doing it for me. For everyone to be safer.
"It's alright Alphys." I said, speaking up. "I'll do it. What do I need to do?"

I needed to be the bigger person here. I needed to reassure her that I was going to be okay.

With everyone here I feel a wave of nostalgia when they talk, and just seeing them. It's like I know them but I haven't ever seen them before.
It makes my heart ache.

"Are ya sure, toots?" Sans asked, surprised I spoke up. "You looked pretty confident about not going into that thing a moment ago." He chuckled.

I can't tell him I felt bad about her!
"I changed my mind. If there's a way to stop my split personality, I'll take it." I said, a half truth.

Honestly I didn't want to step into it. It was scary looking, and I had a bad feeling about it. But she says it'll cure me.
Making up my mind, I nodded and turned to Alphys.

"Open it up."