Coffee Shop

I throw on my apron and put my burgundy hair into a high ponytail. God, I hate this job! I only took it to look like an everyday person and to blend in. The job is so boring, and some of the people are so damn stupid!

"Can I have a small peppermint cappucino?"

"One tall peppermint cappucino!"

"No, no, no! A SMALL!"

"Small is tall here!"

"Well, I want small! If I wanted a tall, I'd go to Starbucks."

"M'aam, you're at Starbucks."

Ughhhh.

I walk up to the coffee machine as Ariel, another worker, shouts orders at me and a newbie. I carefully but quickly make each drink.

Suddenly, she taps my shoulder. "Hey, Scarlett, I have to take a phone call. Can you man the register?"

"Of course," I smile as I greet the next customer. I take the orders for the whole line until I finally reach the last one. He approaches the counter, and I notice something oddly familiar about him. Something about that auburn, emo swoop hair and those green-gray eyes.

"Hi, can I have an iced mocha? Venti?"

"Sure," I smile as I shout back the order. "Five fifty."

As he hands me the money, I casually ask, "Have I seen you around before? You just look so.... Familiar."

He nervously drums his fingers on the counter. "Nope," he says quickly, "Don't think you have." And with that, he grabs his coffee and leaves.

I don't know how I know him, but I'll figure it out soon enough.