Chapter Twenty Two

Tsuki finished changing and stepped out of the bathroom just as a massive explosion shook the entire underground structure. She toppled forward, losing her balance from the sudden blast and let out a squeak as strong arms encircled her. Her heart raced unsteadily in her chest as she found herself pressed against a lean torso. Shakily she chanced a glance upward and met the lethal golden green gaze of Orochimaru.

"S-Sorry."

He righted her without a word before stepping away from her. She watched him curiously as he stooped next to a trunk at the foot of their bed before rummaging through it. He procured a large circular hat that provided shade to the wearer and a plain black cloak. Tucking them under his arm, he turned and lightly caught the pale girl's hand in his before pulling her toward the door.

"It's time to go."

Tsuki scrambled to keep up with his hurried strides as her heart thundered in her chest. He hadn't released her hand and he wasn't dragging her as he had so often before. His grip was firm yet gentle, his fingers interlaced between hers offering her strength and support as he pulled her along. Worry wormed through her as dust began to settle from the massive explosion. Was Sakura alright?

"Tsuki?" He sensed her hesitation and turned to her curiously.

"I want to make sure Sakura-chan is okay."  She replied timidly afraid he'd be angry for her wanting to delay their departure.

He released her hand and extended the hat and cloak to her, "That's where we're going. You'll need these."

Tsuki felt warmth spread through her core as she accepted the hat and cloak. She grinned and threw her arms around him in a hug, catching him off guard. The faintest trace of color spread to his cheeks as he struggled to catch her in his arms. Her heavenly scent enveloped him as she hugged him tight. "Thank you, Orochimaru-sama."

They took off in a flash once they reached the nearest exit and headed off in the direction they'd heard the explosion. Sasuke was standing atop a precipice of a deep cavern that had once been part of the underground lair. He'd completely blown through it, destroying a good portion of the lair in his blast. Tsuki paled as she realized what jutsu Sasuke was about to use. She wasn't going to reach him in time to stop him.

Orochimaru appeared at the teen's side and caught him by the wrist halting his jutsu. "I wouldn't bother with that jutsu. Be smart now." The sannin's voice was cool and crisp.

Tsuki breathed a sigh of relief, had she not been burdened with the bulky hat and cloak that protected her from the sun's rays, she'd have been able to reach Sasuke in time, but Orochimaru had taken the time to prepare them for her, she couldn't act carelessly. If she got hurt, it would cause him discomfort. All she did of late was burden him. She reached the ledge and felt her heart drop as she spotted the expressions on Sakura and Naruto's faces. Their leader, Captain Yamato, was injured with a deep chest wound, no doubt from Sasuke's Snake Sword. Her gaze fell on the boy she'd seen earlier in the Great Hall, Sai, he looked haggard and worn, but overall alright.

"Let go." Sasuke growled at the sannin.

Tsuki smacked him over the back of the head and shot the surly teen a dark look, "I told you to watch how you speak to Orochimaru-sama, brat."

Kabuto appeared at the pale girl's side in the next instant, "I'm not going to tell you again, watch your tone with Lord Orochimaru." He chimed in causing Sasuke to bristle with rage.

"Kabuto? Where have you been? You let Sasuke destroy the house." Tsuki turned to him with an adorable frown struggling to peer up at him from under the huge rim of her wide brimmed hat shading her face from the sun's brutal rays.