Chapter Six

Tsuki hesitated outside of the lab, her hand hovering in front of the door preparing to knock. Kabuto had returned from whatever mission Orochimaru had sent him on and he scared her. She was able to relax when he was away. When Orochimaru didn't need her for training or lab work, she spent her time cooking, cleaning and exploring the massive underground fortress. Everyday she'd bring Orochimaru meals to the lab, he never scolded her for it and always finished his meal, she thought she was being helpful, but with Kabuto back, would he see it as a nuisance?

She knocked softly and nearly lost her hold on the two plates in her hands as the door to the lab was wrenched open and an angry Kabuto greeted her with a piercing glare. Tsuki took a shaky step back and bowed her head apologetically.

"What are you doing?!" Kabuto growled.

"I-I brought lunch." Tsuki squeaked.

"Don't interfe-."

"Leave her be, Kabuto." Orochimaru's voice cracked like a whip from within the lab causing the pair to jump. "Come in, Tsuki." His voice was soft as he addressed the girl which only infuriated Kabuto more.

Tsuki scrambled past Kabuto in terror as he glared at her furiously. She set a plate of food next to where Orochimaru was working and hesitantly set one in front of Kabuto as he returned to the desk he'd been sitting at only to cringe as he shot her another glare.

"Thank you Tsuki." Orochimaru waved her off dismissively, not looking up from his research.

Tsuki bowed politely before scampering out of the lab. She went to deliver lunch to Kimimaro, a boy of thirteen, four years her junior, that was devoted to Lord Orochimaru. He was the sole survivor of a very unique clan that possessed a kekkei genkai that allowed them to project bones from their body. Kimimaro was a soft-spoken boy with shoulder length pale white hair, jade green eyes and two scarlet dots on his forehead above his eyebrows.

His jade eyes looked up as she appeared in the training hall where he was currently shooting projectile bones from his fingertips at various targets. "What is it?"

"I brought lunch." Tsuki said softly with a smile that instantly calmed the teenager.

"Thanks."

Through her days of exploring she'd bumped into various other underlings of Orochimaru, but Kimimaro was the only one that was kind to her. The others she'd bumped into were aggressive and scary so she did her best to keep her distance from everyone in the fortress save for Lord Orochimaru and Kimimaro. Once Kimimaro was finished with his lunch he looked to the pale girl curiously.

"Was it okay?" Tsuki asked worried.

"Your cooking is always good." He smiled softly after a moment.

Tsuki let out a sigh of relief before taking his empty plate and heading back to the kitchen, she stopped by the lab to pick up the dishes from Kabuto and Orochimaru, but hesitated as she realized they weren't sitting outside. Usually Orochimaru just set his plate outside the door so she could collect it without disturbing his research.

She stood outside of the door, not sure what to do. After what happened earlier and the night before, she really didn't want to run into Kabuto. He hated her and was quick to lash out at her. Deciding it was best to knock, she lightly rapped on the door and waited for a response. There wasn't one. Her heart began to pound in her chest.