4

Jungkook awoke before the sun had risen. He stretched out his arms, feeling his aching bones pop. Rolling onto his back, he propped himself up on his elbows, yawning.

"Ugh." He mumbled quietly. His head was throbbing so badly he felt unbalanced, squinting his eyes, head lolled backward.

Taehyung yawned, signaling his awareness. He, too, rolled over and stretched before sitting up.

"Kook, why are you up so early?"

The forest was silent, almost pitch black, starlight filtered through the trees but never touched the ground. The wind blew softly, bringing fresh air that smelled of damp grass. All in all, it was so peaceful that at that moment, had he not known better, Jungkook would have believed his life was perfect.

"My head hurts." He said quietly, still looking around at the shapes of bushes and trees, looming in the dark.

"Why's that?"

Jungkook rolled onto his stomach and sat on his knees, sliding his bad leg out to the side.

"I dunno. Go back to sleep. I'll wake you up at sunrise."

"It's no use now, I'm already up." Taehyung shoved the tattered blanket off, to the side, where it was left neglected.

"Okay, fine. What's the plan for today?" Jungkook asked, his head tilted back slightly, eyes trained on Taehyung's face.

"I was thinking we could both use some new clothes. Especially you," Taehyung added, eyeing the other's torn up clothes.

"How do you expect to get them?"

"The clothing store," Taehyung replied.

"Oh."

"You've never taken advantage of the abandoned shops, huh?"

"Never really thought of it," Jungkook answered honestly.

"Well, it's very useful. Now come on, Let's get a head start."

Taehyung handed Jungkook a slice of bread. Together, they ate quickly, scarfing the starches. Once they were finished, Taehyung stooped down to slip his arms under Jungkook's frail body.

"Hyung, can't you just get me some crutches or something?" Jungkook asked suddenly.

Taehyung frowned, hefting Jungkook into the air, holding the boy to his chest. His expression was hard to see in the darkness, but his eyes reflected the twilight, glinting.

"No, I've never found crutches in the city," The older told him, "Why do you ask?"

"Oh... No reason." There was a reason. Having to be carried everywhere, entirely dependant on Taehyung, he was defenseless, vulnerable.

He trusted his new friend, no doubt, but old instinct was screaming in his ears, pounding in his chest. All he wanted was to be able to function on his own.

Taehyung, being the smart young man that he was, suspected as much. He knew that the mysterious boy in his arms was defensive, independent, so it was expected that he wouldn't want to be carried. However, carrying the younger was enjoyable to him. As long as Jungkook was crippled, he needed Taehyung. It was twisted, selfish, but Taehyung had no desire to give Jungkook independence. For once, he had a companion- someone to talk to, to snuggle, to coexist with. Even he was not selfless enough to let that go.

***

They were sitting on the bank of gushing water, filling their cups, when the sun began to rise. The light revealed large grey clouds looming ominously in the sky, a breeze carrying them towards the boys.