The New Boy

School starts again, and she's been trying new places. Now she has to wear sweaters, because her cuts have progressed to her arms and wrists. She showed up at school, and only one other person was wearing a sweater. He walked over to her and smiled. She thought he was about to make fun of her, but he only said hi.

"Umm, hi." She replied. "I'm Jeremiah, but you can call me Jeremy, or Jem, if you want." He said. She smiled a little and said, "I'm Macy." She didn't know what else to say, suddenly insecure. He just laughed softly, not meanly like she had expected, and asked, "Can I see your bracelet?" She looked at her hand. Her bracelet was a black crescent moon that could only have been slightly visible from his point of view. She wouldn't have minded showing him, if the bracelet was on the non cut wrist. She looked at Jeremy, and shook her head. "I have to go to class, it was nice meeting you, bye," and with that she was gone.

In Health she just stared at her bracelet. Then the bell rang, and she was off to Science. She looked around when she got there. She didn't see Jem, and was beginning to wonder if she had any classes with him. The class went by slowly, but finally she was off to Social, the last class before lunch, and even better, Jem was already in the room.

He sat in the back, on his own. There were a couple kids pointing at him, and whispering. She rolled her eyes figuring they were talking about his longish hair. She ignored them, and sat next to him. He looked up. "Hey, how has school been going so far?" She looked at the others now, and they were just laughing. "Could have been better, how about yours?" He didn't answer her right away. She looked at him, and he was looking at her bracelet.

"Actually, I have a different question. What do you find so interesting about my bracelet?" He looked her in the eye very seriously and said, "It's not about the bracelet, it's about what the bracelet hides." She was startled, "How did you know it hid something?"
"I didn't for sure, but I do now."
"But how?"
"Experience."

And with that the bell rang, and she had to wait until lunch to ask him what he meant. Social ends, and she's on her way to lunch. She walks into the cafeteria, and a few kids start picking on her. "Hey nerd, what happened to your grades? Did you take your nose out of a book for more than ten seconds?"

"Yeah, and why are you wearing a sweater and pants when it's so warm?" They kept saying things like that, and followed her while stepping on her shoes. Her anger was built up. She swung around and yelled, "STOP!" They froze, and her heart was racing.

Everything was silent. She turned back around, got her lunch, and sat down at her table. Things gradually went from silence to the usual roar of conversation. She was sitting alone at her table, as usual. Then Jem sat next to her. "Hey, I saw those guys picking on you, are you okay?"
"I guess" She shrugged.
"I don't believe you are."
"Why not?"
"Because getting to know you, I found out you are insecure, bullied, and hate being confronted."
"How would you know? You haven't really confronted me and it's only the first day you met me."
"Because when I mentioned your bracelet you got really red, and I didn't want to make you uncomfortable, but if you need to talk about anything, either call, snap, or text me."

He gave her a piece of paper with his phone number, and Snapchat username. "Cheesy, but thanks. I don't want to rope anyone into my problems though." She gave a weak smile. He kept holding out the paper. "You need to tell someone though, and I'll be here." She looked at the paper, smiling.

Then someone grabbed her hair from behind. "Hey guys, Miss Lonely actually made a friend." There were a couple people laughing behind her. "Stop." It was a calm, but firm voice. She looked at Jem, but he was busy looking at the guy with her hair in his fist. "Let her go."
"Or what?"
"There's no 'or what?' There is only let her go."

Jeremy sized up to his full height. The guy let go of her hair, but instead of leaving them alone he sized up Jem. Jem didn't move though, he stood his ground. The guy finally gave up and said, "Whatever, let's go."

She rubbed her head. "You okay?" She nodded. Then a smile slowly crept along her face. Jem just looked at her. "What?"
"You stood up for me, and I don't think anyone has done that."
"I told you before, I'm here for you. And not just to talk."

He smiled and held out his hand. She moved to the other side of him, and held his hand with the hand that wasn't wearing the bracelet. They walked to fourth hour together. They had English. Before class started Jem asked Macy if she wanted to come to his house that night, and his dad wouldn't be home. It wouldn't be too risky since her dad usually took the night shift, so she agreed.