54⇢first hope

A silent hour passes by in a blink

Jaebum is still on the floor, Jinyoung's head resting on his lap. He looks at Jaebum occasionally and the vacancy in his eyes tells the latter that Jinyoung's condition is something to worry about. And on top of that, he can't shake off the fact that he is majorly responsible for Jinyoung's withdrawal from the world.

"Say something?" Jaebum whispers among the countless things he says to make Jinyoung speak as he touches his cheeks slightly.

The skin feels cold and uninviting under his touch and there is a layer of several days worth of dust sticking to it. Jaebum doesn't know what he should do next as he stays alert. He puts an ear to pay attention to any possible shuffling sounds coming from outside the door which is carefully locked from the outside by Jimin. It wasn't much of a help because if Park Jihoon shows up, he can easily kick off the door.

Jaebum blinks hard and trains his mind to function faster. Jinyoung doesn't act like he has known Jaebum from before that day, worse he doesn't really make an effort to move his limbs and allows Jaebum to handle him any which way he feels right. And so Jaebum, decides to take advantage of it, try to make the best out of the worst. Crying won't help anymore, nor will feeling guilty over his deeds will. Hitting Jinyoung in a fit of rage comes back to haunt him and Jaebum regrets not listening to Jinyoung or giving him a chance to defend himself. Maybe he had a reason or excuse for cheating on Jaebum but it didn't matter anymore. Jaebum was done thinking what else Jinyoung could have done with that stranger at the gay club or maybe a lot of other boys behind his back.

At the end of the day, Jaebum schooled himself into thinking that Jinyoung's love and feeling for him weren't genuine unlike his own. So no matter what happened or whatever Jinyoung did to hurt Jaebum, he knew he loved that boy as he has never loved anyone before. With Jinyoung, he had a lot more options in life, new horizons to explore. But looking down at the boy's ashen face and vacant stare, Jaebum rebuked himself mentally, wondering if he had said or done something so irreversible that he had pushed Jinyoung to kill himself in the worst way possible.

Starvation.

Jaebum chokes on a sob, sniffles and breathes through his mouth. It wasn't the greatest time to let his heart take over his head. He still needs to make the most of the time he has left with Jinyoung. He couldn't possibly face Park Jihoon, claim to love his son and assert his authority on the boy. Jinyoung isn't an object and Jaebum isn't brave enough to claim his rights on Jinyoung, especially after how their relationship had fractured.

"Let's get you cleaned. Okay, Jinyoungie?" Jaebum slowly musters all his strength into picking Jinyoung up from the floor but he refuses to walk on his own so Jaebum has no other choice but to hook his arms under Jinyoung's armpits and behind his knees in order to carry him. Jinyoung makes no sound, his head lolls to one side like a rag doll cut off from its strings as Jaebum takes him into the attached bath.