11⇢first distraction

Four months

Four months.

Only four months of struggle was all Jinyoung had to endure. After that, he would set off to college, study business then bulk up some degrees to prove his worth to his parents. There won't be any Im Jaebum, silently haunting him every second of the day, putting him through a mental catastrophe he didn't sign up for. However, all his efforts and attempts to not pay attention to Jaebum were making things more difficult for him. He couldn't talk to anyone, explain people in any language that he was pretty close to losing his mind permanently. Or maybe he has already lost it.

He goes back to his second day at school, meeting eyes with Jaebum's, a slow tepid burn skimming across his chest. Gradually, it started feeling like the most natural things that could happen. Jinyoung took the time to understand his frantic emotions and urges. And he believed he was in love, albeit that love started off as an insane fixation but later he realized that it was irrevocable and dangerously unrequited. In a way that felt like walking into a frigid, neon blue sphere, swathed in color and blinded by a light, his feelings for Jaebum had come to him as though in a dream; one that numbed him to the bone and tipped his worldview on its head.

Exams came and went smoothly. Jinyoung wasn't sure how he passed with average numbers when he was technically supposed to fail all his subjects. But he chose not to overthink about it. Finding out about Jaebum ranking on top once again brought a sprinkle of joy to him, simultaneously wondering how Jaebum scored so well even after missing out on classes and traveling to principal's office to deal with his shortage of attendance.

Probably because he puts his quality time and brain into studying with dedication, unlike Jinyoung who etches airy portraits of Jaebum and builds an impossible future for themselves.

And winter wasn't departing anytime soon, the sun overhead wasn't providing much warmth either. Jinyoung stood by the school gates one day, waiting for his ride back home to arrive which was late. Jimin hung out with some of his new found friends at a distance, having a considerably good time, a lot better time than his hyung. Shivering due to a sudden gust of crackling cold wind, Jinyoung pulls his overcoat tighter around himself.

"Waiting for someone?"

Mark's raspy voice startled Jinyoung but he recollected himself quickly to force a tight-lipped smile at him.

"Just for the car to arrive."

"Hey Jinyoung-ah, I was wondering if you wanna join me to this small party we are having at my grandma's place. It will be fun."

That out of the blue invitation makes Jinyoung suspicious at first, immediately bringing back memories from that one party he attended upon Mark's insistence. A flurry of incidents had occurred that night.

" I don't know Mark, I am not sure if I can go," he says, words cautiously laid out.

Mark's naturally bright face loses some of its lusters, making Jinyoung feel bad about himself. He wasn't in a state to go to parties or seek any kind of company if it's not Jaebum.