Chapter 7: Risky Business

The group sat huddled around a white round table speckled with tiny black dots. June with her arms crossed sat next to Norma who was picking at her fingers. John was leaning back in his chair with his leg propped up into an L shape over his knee. His eyes were fixed on the stained wall behind Sal and Marjorie. He was in a sort of daze trying to take everything in. He could barely believe he was still alive and had no idea why these people had bothered to help him.

Sal was leaned forward with his arms sprawled out onto the table, "You'd never know it, but Jo is the funniest person I know. She puts up the tough exterior because she doesn't like to let people in, but she's a real class clown or at least she was."

June moved to the edge of her seat balancing her head onto her hands only moving her head to nod along with Sal's stories. Norma sat back in her chair with her hands resting on her lap while Sal spoke. John moved his eyes away from the wall to meet Sal's gaze.

"Really? What changed with Joanie? I mean she's sarcastic, but we've never seen her clown around." Replied June folding her over-sized hands in front of herself.

June looked as if she had never fully grown into her limbs. She was a thin lanky woman with skis for feet and her hands seemed too large to be proportionate. She moved her curly hair behind her ears revealing ears that made her face look like a monkey. She was always wearing mismatched clothes that made her look similar to a clown.

Sighing Marjorie responded before Sal could speak up, "Well, you see Sal and I have known Jo since we were young. She was always cracking jokes and was a real goof, but she's changed. It's because of what happened in Vegas. She never talks about it and every time I try to bring it up she shuts down. It's like a switch flipped off with her. You know she'll never admit it, but Vegas was her breaking point."

Sal thought It was horrible. No one should have to go through that. I should've stayed.

Sal looked down at his feet and nodded in agreement lifting his head he began to explain. "We were on a job and we were working wi---."

Sal stopped abruptly as Joanie and Carly walked up to the table.

"Sal? Why did you sto—" June started until Norma jabbed her quickly in the side and gave her a warning look from behind her glasses.

The group grew quiet as Joanie and Carly reached the table. After sitting down and exchanging pleasantries Joanie addressed John, "John, I'm sure you're wondering why we broke you free. It's simple we need your help breaking into The Mill without detection."

"But I have no expertise in breaking and entering. I'm just an accountant." John replied confused.

"We all know that. It's really your wife that we need, but in order to convince her, we need your help. She's a retired agent of ours and in order to get her to work for us, we had to promise your safety. She turns 65 in a month meaning that she'll be on the inside and no one will suspect that she has spoken with you. We're going to use Carly to get her a message from you that way she knows you're safe." Joanie said.

"I don't want her in any danger." John asserted.

Sighing Joanie continued, "John, your wife is one our best agents. She's more than capable of doing this. Besides, whether or not you agree to send a message she'll be taken and without our help, she won't survive. With us, she has a chance."

John rubbed his forehead obviously stressed about the entire situation. "I've loved this woman for most of my life. Do you understand that? She's my everything and if anything happens to her it'll break me." John explained.