Chapter 3: Old Friends

As the jeep made its way back to the main highway Jo smiled to herself in triumph, knowing that they had all just pulled off a risky move. It was unheard of people being broken out once they were in transport, but they had pulled it off. Jo was feeling pretty good about herself, she even turned on some music and tapped the wheel. The initial glee had worn off for the other two women in the vehicle. June sat next to Jo with her eyes darting back and forth watching every car they passed with careful consideration. She bit her nails trying to ease her nerves, but they did little to calm her. Norma had twisted her neck to stare out the rear causing her neck to grow sore in the process. She only stopped to rub her neck for a brief moment before returning to uncomfortable vantage point.

June looked at Jo and back to the road before stating, "We need to get off the road soon."

Norma who had been watching their tail for the past ten minutes piped up, "Yeah, June's right. The Mill won't be pleased with our Golden Girls go James Bond show back there,"

Joanie rolled her eyes and replied, "I know you two act like I'm unprepared. I have a plan. We're going to pull off at a rest stop here in a few minutes. Then we'll hitch a ride with an old friend. John, you'll need to put that mask on. June, Norma and I won't be recognized on camera without ours on."

Abandoning her post Norma leaned forward to protest, "Wait, but the cameras will see the car pull in and figure out where we got off and will eventually see our faces."

"No, the cameras will not recognize us. I'm prepared for this. We got a cloak on the car so it looks like an old Jeep. But, we're in a fancy SUV. Marj didn't give me the cloak 'til the last minute so I never got the chance to tell you about it. I'll get rid of the cloak before the next rest stop, between cameras. They'll be looking at all the wrong exits." Joanie replied grinning ear to ear.

Norma slouched back into her seat crossing her arms as she replied, "Wish you would've told us sooner Joanie or I wouldn't be breaking my neck back here; give me a few more gray hairs why don't you."

"You always get your panties in a twist. I didn't need to tell you everything. Have some faith." Joanie scoffed and turned up the music.

She nodded her head to the beat as the incognito SUV hurtled past everything in sight.

"Well goodness, gracious! You two are such fartknockers." June cackled from the front as she slapped her knees.

Joanie's eyes went unfocused for a moment as she revved the engine. Thump, Thump, Thump, Thump. The vehicle swerved running over a rumble strip as Joanie shook her head and squinted her eyes correcting the SUV.

June slide in her seat and looked at Joanie with a raised eyebrow, "Gees, where did you learn how to drive?"

Rubbing her eyes Joanie replied, "Sorry, bad mind."

Norma leaned forward, "Huh?"

Norma looked to June who shrugged and shook her head.

Clearing her throat Joanie repeated, "My bad."

#

The sun beat down on the freshly cleaned red pickup truck gleaming in the sunlight as a tall man wearing a green polo and khakis leaned against the hood of the truck waiting. His coworkers thought he always wore khakis to be comfortable or look "business casual" at every occasion. No one realized his true reasoning for always wearing his trusty khakis, but those closest to him. They knew he was color blind and had trouble matching clothes. So here he sat in his pressed, "matching everything" khakis, waiting. A young woman with dark hair fidgeted impatiently as the pair continued to wait in front of the pickup. She wore a blue blouse, faded jeans and her favorite pair of white sneakers that were so bright they hurt your eyes.