Chapter 2.2: The Walking Dead

Inside a shiny new gray car a young man nodded his head to the beat of the music. His wavy red hair bounced as he closed his eyes momentarily, to beat on the steering wheel as if he was doing his own drum solo for millions of raving fans. He bit his lip and abruptly turned the dial up before he leaned over the steering wheel belted out the chorus "And I-eeee--II will always lo---."

His eyes bulged as if he had seen a ghost. He slammed on his brakes watching as an ambulance in front of him was side swiped by what looked like a jeep. Squinting his eyes, he could spot three figures emerging from the jeep. Two of them had weapons of some sort, but from his car on the road he couldn't tell what they were for certain. All he knew was that he didn't want to be anywhere near here if there was going to be a shootout. He jerked his gear shift into reverse and, giving one final look at what lay before him, he paused. Two of the figures were dragging men out of the front of the ambulance, but they didn't look dead.

That's curious, he thought to himself.

He thought they would've surely killed the men leaving no witnesses, but instead it seemed as if they had only knocked them out somehow. The man ducked behind his steering wheel trying to hide from the scene that was unfolding in front of him. As if the tiny bit of material would better protect him from any bullets. He watched from between his steering wheel and saw a fourth person come from the back of the ambulance.

The man sat up quickly and tilted his head.

"No. That can't. I'm."

He rubbed his eyes and shook his head trying to refocus on the scene in front of him.

"I must have hit my head."

The young man felt his head for any sore spots, but there were still four people now entering the jeep.

"I have a headache. Definitely, just hit my head."

The man watched as the jeep drove away, shaking his head. Chills ran down his spine as he shifted back into drive and cautiously approached the ambulance. He parked on the opposite side of the ambulance and exited with his phone in hand. Held the phone to his ear, hearing the ringing as he leaned over to check on the two men lying in the grass.

"Sir? Sir? Are you ok? Can you hear me?"

The red-headed older man rolled in the grass adding green stains to the red stains spattered about his previously white outfit. He groaned, grasping his forehead before losing consciousness again.

"Sir, I'm calling for help. Help will be on the way soon." The man said with his phone pressed tight against his shoulder and ear.

The man finally reached emergency services and told them what had happened, most of it at least. He left out the part about a fourth person exiting the ambulance intentionally knowing it would sound crazy.

The man hung up the phone and thought to himself, David why can't you just have a normal day? Why does trouble always seem to find you?

The two unconscious men lay on the side of the road as the sirens cut through the silence. The afternoon sun glared down, causing sweat to build on the man's lip as he waited for help to arrive. The emergency vehicles came rushing in as David sprawled out his arms and waved them down. They slowed and quickly attended to the two doctors. The emergency personnel loaded the drugged men into ambulances slamming the doors behind them. With tires screeching, the ambulances sped away. The smell of burnt rubber filled the air as the ambulances became tiny dots in the distance. A tow truck had arrived with its orange and yellow lights flashing as two people worked on getting the remaining ambulance up on the large truck bed.