Chapter 8: Damage Control

Jude shuffled into a large conference room with four large TV screens across from a table. He took his seat at the center of the table and laid down his papers. Most of them were blank, but they gave the illusion that he knew more than he really did. Taking a deep breath Jude readied himself for the worst. The board members would be video conferencing with him this morning to hear about yesterday's escape. The black bags under his eyes said everything, he hadn't slept all night.

The Board is going to be furious. How did I let this happen? What will they do if we don--. No, don't think. Clear. Breathe. My head is pounding. I really need to get his prescription worked out. Why did it change? That's beside the point. Focus. Breathe. I'm dead. No. Focus. Breathe. We can cover this up. For now. Who would do this? Who's bold enough? What this man goes to the news? They'd doubt him. It's ok. It'll be ok. They won't like it but it'll work. We've got to find these people.

As the minutes before the meeting seemed to drag by, the lights bared down on Jude causing beads of sweat to form above his brow. The smell of coffee wafted into the room through the vents and chatter filled the hallway. A few seconds before nine the screens came to life practically simultaneously. On the far left screen, a small woman with a stern look on her face came into focus. Her hair was pulled back into a military-style bun and her face was radiating a level of anger that made Jude stiffen in his seat.

Mrs. Dreher. I'm dead. So dead. Focus. Be strong. For God sake man you are the head of this facility your Mr. King. You fear nothing.

Her clothes were drab, a boring shade of brown and gray. The two center screens were of two business looking men. Both dressed in fine suits with their hair slicked back. The man on the right-center was wearing glasses and had a menacing mustache. His eyes were like black holes sucking the life out of the room. The left-center man's eyes were an ice blue that sent chills down Jude's spine. 

Liotta. Stop staring into his eyes. You'd think they were nice if you didn't know the man behind them. A murderous dictator. He even shot his own mother.  

The far right screen was mostly dark. There was only a small amount of light coming from the screen and the face of the person was not visible, only the shadow of a larger figure could be seen in a chair. Jude took in a small breath before addressing the board.

"Hello, I have prepared a statement of the events of yesterday's situation," Jude said calmly even though his heart continued to pound underneath his chest.

Breathe. Just breathe.

"Please continue." whispered the man in the dark on the far right.

"At approximately twelve o'clock in the afternoon, one of our transports was intercepted by three individuals. The individuals have not been identified and their escape vehicle has yet to be located. They escaped in an old jeep that is believed to have had false plates. The patient kidnapped was John Garvey. We set up roadblocks throughout the area and expanded our search with helicopters. We informed the police that we had a theft of a body and that we believe it will be used on the black market for its organs. We have yet to inform the family. We have also placed watch details on his wife's home and the homes of various family members. His wife is scheduled for her entrance to the Mill in a month. If Mr. Garvey attempts to make contact before his wife's entrance we'll know. We have no indication of the motive to kidnap this particular patient. Our team is working around the clock to locate the escaped patient and his help. We will resolve this issue." Jude explained to the board.

"What if the man comes forward?" asked Mrs. Dreher with her brow furrowed giving Jude a firm look of disappointment.

Jude turned without hesitation, "Ma'am, we'll claim that the pill was faulty and that the patient is a fugitive that endangers the balance of society's population. We'll ask that the public turn the man in so that the issue can be resolved."