Chapter 2.1: Saviors

A voice cut through. "Male, 65, John Garvey. Transport en route to The Mill. Phase One of Operation Last Ditch Effort underway. You are cleared to preform Operation Savior."

Joanie picked up the walkie and replied, "Ok, copy that. Over and out."

She turned the keys and the jeep growled to life. Looking in the rearview mirror she could see Norma and June pulling black ski masks over their heads and preparing dart rifles disguised to look like paintball guns. Taking out her own mask, Joanie pulled it down and hit a small button on the side. Her mask began to contort, specks began to slowly fill the mask until her entire face had changed. She looked in the mirror to see Norma and June's faces changing as well.

June leaned to look in the mirror and groaned, "Oh, come on."

June slumped back into her seat while Norma covered her mouth to hide her snickers.

With her arms crossed, pouting, June complained, "Look at my nose. It's huge. Why can't I ever get a mask with a beautiful face?"

Norma raised her brows and nodded, "Yeah, that would be an improvement."

June smacked Norma's arm as she replied, "Hey that was uncalled for. At least I don't look high as a kite."

Norma rushed to see her reflection in a mirror before groaning. Her eyes were a bright red with only a ting of green coming through. Heavy bags hung under her bloodshot eyes.

"Ugh. I look horrible. It looks like I got hit by a bus. I look like a bloodhound."

June snickered as Norma continued to rub her eyes in hopes it would make improvements. Her efforts were useless.

"Hey, at least I don't look like Pinocchio." Norma scoffed as she crossed her arms.

Feeling the new nose, June slumped in her seat and took a swing at Norma. Norma grabbed June's wrist before it hit her and the two struggled until Joanie asserted, "You two knock it off! We have a mission. Now focus and cut the crap."

Like children, the pair stuck their tongues out at each another and turned to face out opposite windows with their arms crossed and faces scrunched up in anger.

June snapped out of her state of displeasure with an eyebrow raised before she asked, "Hey Joanie, how come your masks are always normal?"

"Don't know; that's something you should take up with Marj."

Joanie smiled to herself as she thought, Probably, because I always ask for the theirs to be ridiculous. It never gets old. Seeing their priceless reactions. Too funny. Now act serious. Wouldn't want to ruin your "never plays games" reputation. Joanie snorted out a quick laugh and hid it with a swift cough like nothing had happened. That was close, keep it together.

June mumbled under her breath as she thought, Did she just laugh? Nah that's impossible. But it did sound like it. Stupid masks.

With a dust trail behind them, the jeep veered off of the dirt road it had been following and turned to the right. The jeep shook as the tires ran across the rumble strip along the side of the pavement. The jeep chugged down the road searching for its mark with all eyes scanning the surrounding area for signs of trouble. Appearing innocent to passersby, the old jeep whipped in and out of traffic undetected.

Passing cars for what seemed like an hour, Jo spotted the ambulance and began to follow. Revving the engine, Jo smiled to herself knowing that this mission would change everything. Making sure not to be spotted Joanie kept the Jeep several car lengths behind the target. The white ambulance had dark tinted windows with the only source of color coming from the black cross across the back doors. Even the lights on the ambulance appeared to be void of color with the lights churning out a bleak white color across the highway of cars. As they made their way speeding down the road the ambulance's unassuming operators talked about their passenger in the back.

"They'll make good use of him at The Mill." Said the redhead sitting in the passenger seat looking pleased with their work. He clicked the pen in his hand constantly, a nervous tick he had developed over the years.

The driver's blue eyes were devoid of any sympathy as he smiled at the thought, "Yeah, he should be able to provide a much-needed service to society."

His blue irises seemed to be filled with a sickening joy that would make even the toughest of stomachs churn. Even his red-headed partner shuttered to himself.

Turning on an off ramp the ambulance made its way down a smaller road heading away from the city. As trees began to emerge with more frequency the road narrowed with fewer cars driving past. The Jeep picked up speed, moving next to the ambulance the Jeep slammed into its side with a tank-like force. Its tires squealed as the driver hit the brakes and the ambulance ran off the road into a ditch with its engine smoking. The lights flickered on and off inside the ambulance as its two front passengers were dazed. The driver grasped his head to feel for any blood.

Slamming on brakes the Jeep came to a halt and the women sprang into action. Norma and June quickly rushed with their weapons at the ready to the front of the vehicle. Norma approached the driver side as June took the passenger side. Blood streaked down the driver's cheek from a small gash under his left eye appearing like tears of blood. The red-headed man held his forehead removing his hand to see his blood-stained palm. Firing their darts in unison June and Norma took down the two men and drug them out of the smoking ambulance. Joanie walked to the back door slowly waiting for her team to join her. Quickly the women met Joanie at the back with their weapons at the ready as Joanie pulled the doors open.

Inside John was lying, hooked up to beeping machines and slowly coming to. Rubbing his forehead John sat up slowly taking in his surroundings. A constant beeping noise filled his ears as he shifted his feet off of the bed looking down at the needles still sticking in his arm. Trying to stand too quickly, the ground beneath John shifted as he stumbled back onto the bed. Rubbing his neck, he turned to face the three women who had gone unnoticed until now. Norma and June still had their guns at the ready as Jo stood with her hands on her hips waiting.

Throwing his hands up John said, "I surrender."

Motioning for June and Norma to stand down Jo stepped up into the ambulance lowering her head, so she wouldn't hit the ceiling.

"John, my name's Joanie. If you would take my arm and I will help you out."

Jo reached out her arm and John timidly took her arm watching the other two women nervously. The pair stepped out of the ambulance hitting the pavement with a thud. John noticed the two men lying on the ground moaning and took a slight step away from the women.

Jo said, "They'll be fine. As for you, we need to move before they send reinforcements."

Not looking so certain John began to frantically ask questions, "What? Where am I? Did the pill not work? Where's my wife? Who are you people?"

"You're on a road off of highway 20, yes the pill worked, we don't know where your wife is and we're here to save you. We can't waste time discussing this now. We need to move. You're John, right?" Joanie quickly explained to John with urgency.

"Yes."

Turning to leave Jo motioned for John to follow them, "Ok, it's nice to meet you. Again I'm Joanie and this is Norma and June. We need to vacate this area immediately. Give him his mask June" Joanie responded as she reached out for the mask.

Quickly handing him a mask June gave him instructions "Put it on, push the button and it will activate a false face."

John decided his chances were better if he went along with the women and followed them hopping into the back seat along with Norma. John looked back at the scene behind them to see a blue car pulling up to the accident as they turned off the road.

"Uh someone pulled up to the ambulance."

Joanie hollered back, "Don't worry John. They'll never catch us. We're too smart for them."

#

Hello, readers! I hope you're enjoying the story so far. If you liked this chapter, please consider giving it a vote. Feedback is always welcome.