Chapter Three

(Los Angeles, Present Day)

“Hey Rachel, do you think you can run to the store? We are out of tortillas!” Katy shouted from the kitchen.

I got up from the couch and paused an episode of How I Met Your Mother that I was watching. I entered the kitchen to find Katy getting Mom’s old apron on.

“Oh no, what are you doing?” I asked.

“Well,” she began, ‘if you must know I am going to making dinner tonight.”

“Katy, you can’t even boil water without messing up, how do you expect to make a full meal?”

“Psh, Rachel, please. I’ve been watching the cooking channel for a while now, so I think I know how to make dinner.”

I raised one eyebrow.

“You’ve only been watching it for three days..”

“Oh, will you stop asking questions and just go get the tortillas?”

“Oh of course, “Chef Katy”.”

I smirked while grabbing my car keys from the cabinet. Katy turned around.

“You’re a pain in the ass, you know that?”

“Ah yes, but I’m your pain in the ass. Am I right?”

Katy laughed. Then she picked me up by my sides and swung me around. She put me down and pulled me away slightly, but still hanging on to my arms.

“Yes ma’am, you are all mine.” she said as she smiled. She fully pulled away and smacked my rear end with a dish towel that she was holding. “Now hurry back! I want to get these enchiladas ready.”

I went to the nearest store, which was the Jewel-Osco on Waterlily Street. Everyone there knows me, mostly because of the first time I tried going there by myself I got swarmed by paparazzi since Katy is this huge pop sensation now. They were nice enough to hold off the “paps” while I got while I needed. Now, it’s a regular thing.

I returned home, parking the car into the garage. I sniffed the air, something didn’t smell right. Smoke? Well that can’t be my car. BEEP BEEP BEEP went the sound of the fire alarm.

“Oh my gosh.” I thumped my head onto the steering wheel and mumbled to myself, “I told you you can’t boil water and now trying to cook a full on dinner.”

I got out of my silver PT Cruiser and walked into the front door to find smoke all over in the air. Katy was waving the dish towel over by the smoke alarm to try and turn it off. She caught a glance at me.

“Oh, you’re home.” she said “Well uh, everything is going great!  I was just cooking the rice. But do you mind uh….”

I snickered and shook my head. “Start by opening all of the windows you goof.”

“Right, the windows! I knew that.”

Katy took the upstairs while I took the downstairs and we tried to get as much of the smoky smell out as we could. Of course when we both retreated to the kitchen it was a mess, so we spent another twenty minutes cleaning up the mess of ashes and burnt food.

I grabbed my Jewel-Osco bag that I had set down on the shoe rack in the laundry room and brought it into the kitchen. “I guess we didn’t really need these tortillas, did we?” I asked.