Chapter Two

(Chicago, 2007)

I think the scariest part of the whole accident was getting pulled out of school by police officers and not having a clue what was happening. It was 10:47 am and I was just about to get out of third period Language Arts, BOOM. The police barge into the classroom, one of them has a bushy mustache and the other was buff and tan. With our principal, they said they need me right away because it’s urgent. I quickly gather my things together, while having every scenario of what could be going on racing through my head. The whole class stared at me, some questioning why I am leaving with the police, and others wishing they were me leaving with the police. While walking down the hallway I am thinking to myself, “Did the house catch on fire? Did our house get robbed? Is Katy okay? Where’s mom and dad?”.

We reached the front office and the principal with the two officers lead me into the principal’s office and sit me down in a chair. I looked up at the buff officer and saw his name tag said “Officer Oliver”.  It’s quiet and the three of them look at each other. “Well aren’t you going to tell me what’s going on?” I urgently ask.

“Rachel, something has happened.” Officer Oliver started, “At around 8 o’clock in the morning this morning, your parents were headed somewhere, driving in a car.”

“Yeah, they were going to preach this morning at a mass at St.Matthew’s church in West Barrington.”

“Yes, as they were on their way there, your father was driving the car and was passing through a green light at an intersection. As he was doing so, a drunk driver of a blue Mercedes Benz sped through the red light at the same intersection at about seventy-eight miles per hour, causing a collision to your parent’s car.”

I was unbelievably shocked, I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. Nothing bad could ever happen to my parents. My mom and dad, no. “But they’re okay, right?”

There was a very long silence as everyone in the room exchanged glances, not telling me anything. I was growing impatient and eager. “But they’re okay, right?” I said sternly.

“Rachel,” the officer with the mustache said, “I’m sorry but you’re parents did not survive. They were killed almost instantly. I’m sorry.”

I was too shocked to say anything I just sat there with this blank expression on my face. It’s impossible, they were not dead. I had seen them not even three hours ago. My eyes instantly watered when everything finally processed. I cried hysterically, loudly, and a lot.

My parents are dead. Dead. I’ve always hated that word, now I hated it even more. How could God do this to me? After all our family has done for Him? Serving Him and praising Him. Why would He do this to me, leaving me like this? I am now alone in this world. But then it occurred to me, no I wasn’t. I remembered something.

“Katy.” My voiced cracked as I made out the name. “Katy, w-where is she? Does she know? Is she coming to get me? I need her right now.”

“Wait just calm down. Now, who is Katy?” my principal asked.

Officer Oliver leaned over to him. “Katheryn Hudson is probably who she is referring to. I think that is her sister.”

“Yes,” I said, “Katheryn Elizabeth Hudson, well, Katy, is my sister. My big sister. Where is she, does she know?”

“Katheryn, er, Katy was the first person we called. Your parents put her down as the first emergency contact. She said she would get here as soon as possible, taking the earliest flight here. Until then, however, you are going to have to hangout at the station under our supervision.”