Chapter One

(Santa Barbara, 2004)

I was only seven years old when my big sister, Katy, left to pursue her dream in the crazy city of Los Angeles. I didn’t want her to leave because she was the only friend I have ever had. I was always bullied in school and nobody liked me at all, and Mom and Dad were always busy; never having time for me. Our parents were traveling ministers so we would be moving everywhere, but every single destination we went I knew I already had a friend by my side, my sister. When it came time to her 20th birthday I knew she would be moving out soon, I was just hoping the day would never come, because I didn’t know if I was ready to be on my own.

They stood in the driveway. Katy was hugging our parents and saying their goodbyes, while I was on the swing on the front porch of our Santa Barbara home, trying so hard to hold back the feelings of sadness. I wanted to be strong, I wanted to be strong for Katy. I knew she would worry about me, so I wanted to reassure her that I would be fine. She stole a glance at me while packing her suitcase into her car, then closed the trunk and started to make her way over to me. I pretended I didn’t see her coming, but Katy can read me like the back of her hand, and she knew I was dreading this goodbye more than anything.

“Hey Rachel.” She said with her soft as silk voice as she took a seat next to me.

“Hi.” I quietly said.

“So you know, I was thinking about what to get you as a going away gift. It was difficult because I know you like so many things.” She looked down and said, “But, I also know how much you love the color pink.”

Katy pulled out a miniature green box with blue ribbon about the size of my palm and set it in my lap. I could really feel sadness in my heart welling up. All I could do was stare at it, that beautiful green box with blue ribbon. If I opened it I was sure to cry.

“Well go on, rip that top off of it you silly girl.” she nudged me.

I set the box in my left palm and took my right hand and pulled the ribbon holding the gift together apart. Opening that green box, I find a beautiful bracelet. It was pink, of course, but it was a gorgeous soft pink with white swirls, and the glossy beads were the shape of spheres. Where the ends of the bracelet meets up is a light pink ribbon tied in a bow. I was so in awe at the beauty that no words were coming out of my mouth.

After a while I finally said, “Katy, this is so pretty. I love it, thank you.”

“Anything for my favorite girl.” she said while taking the bracelet and clipping it onto my wrist. “Whenever you feel lonely, you just look at this and think of me, I’ll be there for you.”

“Well you won’t really be there.” I remarked while frowning to the ground.

The smile didn’t run away from her face, as if she knew what she was going to say next.

“Oh sweetie. Listen to me, okay?” taking her hand, she gently lifted up my chin looked me in the eyes and told me, “My love is like a star. You can’t always see them during the day, but you know that I’m always there. All you have to do is remember that wherever I am, no matter how far away, I will always be loving you.”

The tears started to well up in my eyes and my heart was heavy.

She needs something to look at and think of me, I thought to myself.

“I really want you to have this,” I said. I took my old, favorite stuffed animal giraffe and held it out to her. “as a goodbye present.”

“Oh my, Rach. But this is your giraffe, he keeps you safe at night when you sleep. Are you sure you want me to have him?”

“I’m sure. Los Angeles seems scary, so he’ll help you there. And I don’t need him if your star is out at night.”

Katy’s eyes started to water, but they were happy tears. She was glad I understood.

“Come here you!” She lifted me onto her lap, hugged me really tight and kissed me all over my face. “I love you, sis. So much.”

I smiled. “I love you too, sissy.”

She smiled back as she wiped the tears from her eyes; looking at me, but not only looking, she was admiring me, she would miss me. She said, “Okay, well, I better get going. It’s a long drive to LA.”

Katy got up off of the swing, and took my hand as I took hers and we walked from the porch to the driveway. My wrist had the bracelet on it, and her hand clutching my giraffe. I savored every single moment. It’s so hard for Katy to move, especially since we’d spend so many moments with each other all of the time. When we reached the driveway and her car, Katy kneeled, set down the giraffe, put both of her hands on my face ever so gently and said, “You be good, alright? I love you so much.” She nuzzled my face one last time, and then picked up my giraffe and walked to her car. I felt the tears well up into my eyes again as she started the engine. But then as I watched her car fade into nothingness I let out everything I had been holding in my heart and just cried. Not a sad cry, but a happy cry. Knowing that she is pursuing her dream. I can be strong, and I know for a fact that we will be together again, no matter how different it may be.