Chapter 2

I let out a gasp. I never expected Gale to turn up at my front door. I don't actually know if I like his presence or not. I mean, he ignored me for two years and didn't even say goodbye, and it was he who designed those bombs that killed Her. Oh, no, now I'm thinking about Her. But I can't cry, not now. I grab Peeta's arm so the grief will be easier to handle. It helps. Finally, Gale speaks up.

"So, how have you been eh, Catnip?" he says, with a little startled face. What he sees right now is me standing next to a shirtless Peeta in my nightgown. It has to look a little suspicious. I decide that I'm still a little angry with him when I say

"Why are you here?"

and try to sound unfriendly. When I do, I feel satisfied with myself. Peeta puts his arm around my waist, I bet he feels the tension in the air. Now we really look like a couple to Gale. Good. I don't want him to get his hopes up, I belong to Peeta. Forever. But I still love Gale enough to not feel comfortable with hurting him, so I don't go any further.

"I came here to apologize, okay? To sort things out. Could I talk to you alone? I was thinking about going to the woods." He shoots a glance at Peeta but then looks at me again. I look at Peeta as if to ask if it's okay. He nods. I look at Gale with a meaning look.

"I'll come, on one condition. Don't mention Her name. I will break down if you do." I say. Gale understands. "I'll go and get dressed." I tell Gale.

"I'll come, too." Peeta says. We walk upstairs together.

"Are you sure you're okay about this? I mean, with me going to the woods all alone with Gale?" I ask him, a little uncertain.

"I trust you. I know you won't do anything. I have some shoping to do in town anyways. But promise me one thing. If he does anything, run home. And I have one condition." he says, coming closer with every sentence.

"Okay, I promise. And what's the condition?" I say, raising my eyebrows. Then, before he can answer, I kiss him hard and passionately on the lips. We kiss for maybe twenty seconds, and then I break away. "I love you, Peeta." I say, resting my forehead on his. Then I hear someone clearing his throat in the stairs. We both look there and see Gale. He looks hurt. Oh, no, he saw it all. He even heard me telling Peeta that I love him. I wouldn't be sad about anyone else seeing it, but Gale is still in love with me, I know he is, and I want to hurt him as little as possible.

"I just wondered if I could use the bathroom." Gale says, looking at Peeta angrily.

"Um.. sure, the second door to the left." Peeta answers and pulls me up to the bedroom to get dressed. "You know, Katniss, I think we should try not to be madly in love while he is around, I mean, we still have plenty of time for that." he says.

"Yeah, I think so too. But we have to be enough in love for him to not get his hopes up. If he thinks I'm available, he will definately go for it." I say, blushing a little.

"Yeah, well, I don't think he will after what he just saw. But yeah, I think you're right. We should get dressed now before something happens. By the way, you got the condition right. And I love you too." he says, smiling at the last part. I smile too, and give him a quick peck on his cheek before getting my hunting gear. We get dressed in silence. Peeta wears a dark green T-shirt and jeans, and I'm wearing comfortable pants, a simple black shirt and father's old leather jacket. I braid my hair in my everyday braid, and brush my teeth. Peeta does that too. I mean, except for the braiding. We go downstairs together.

"Well, now you start looking as your old self, Catnip! Are you ready to go?" he asks, his expression still looks a little bit hurt.

"Yeah, I guess...?" I say, looking at Peeta. I give him another peck, but this time on his lips. There goes the limit. I won't go any further with Gale around. "Bye." I tell him.