x. flashback: jiwon

Four months ago: September 2018

It had only been a week that Jiwon and Junhoe had properly been living together and Jiwon was already almost certain that his reckless roommate was dead.

It had all started when Junhoe had left the apartment without saying a single thing and Jiwon couldn't really object, because why should Junhoe tell him why, or where he was going? That wasn't Jiwon's problem to think about, he wasn't included at all and Junhoe was a grown man who could do whatever he—fuck this, he's an idiot, why the heck didn't he stay inside?!

Junhoe had been giving Jiwon weird vibes ever since he came home from his classes. A big giveaway was when he almost tore the door of its hinges trying to open it and Jiwon had to in the end, thinking that it was some kind of criminal but it was just his grumpy-faced roommate who tore straight past him without a second of acknowledgement.

Jiwon didn't know how to feel.

For one thing, it wasn't like Junhoe didn't ignore him on a daily basis, that was a given but the guy usually had the audacity to greet Jiwon if he was there after he came home. It was just one of the many undecided, mutual agreements that they had like how if one of them was making or buying food then it had to be enough for the both of them, or if something was lost then they'd both turn the apartment upside down looking for it no matter which one of them it belonged to.

Maybe Jiwon hadn't known Junhoe as long as some people but Jiwon still knew him, and he cared. He cared that Junhoe didn't say hi because Jiwon had been waiting all day to say hi back since Junhoe had left too early in the morning. He had kind of missed him and his quiet company and Jiwon didn't admit that kind of thing easily so now that Junhoe had seemed like a little bit of a jerk, Jiwon's pride had just been...flattened.

Maybe something happened, Jiwon thought, his eyes shifting towards the door that Junhoe was now behind. No, scratch that, something definitely happened. Junhoe's not a jerk, he's just a repressed sweetheart who gets emotional sometimes—is he emotional now? Anger's an emotion, right? Or he might just be tired, and I should just drop it...

Though that didn't stop Jiwon from standing right outside Junhoe's door ten minutes later, biting his nails absent-mindedly as he debated whether he should go in or not. He wanted to help, but he didn't know how. He wanted to tell Junhoe that everything was okay, but he didn't know why. And while he was caught up in all of these thoughts and emotions, he was pulled out of it all when he felt himself getting punched in the gut by a single sound.

A sob.

And because of the newfound knowledge that Junhoe; strong, beautiful Junhoe; was crying and he couldn't do anything to help, Jiwon almost cried too.

###

It had been an hour since that moment, thirty minutes since Jiwon heard heavy rain crashing on their roof, fifteen minutes since he saw that the weather forecast predicted a heavy storm that welcomed floods and danger tonight, and ten minutes since Junhoe had left the building without any warning.

Jiwon didn't know how he could've been such a moron to just sit there and let Junhoe go in such weather conditions because maybe Junhoe didn't know how bad everything was getting outside, but Jiwon did! He might've just killed his roommate because he had withheld information and wasn't both of those also the kind of things that could get you arrested—

Just breathe, Jiwon told himself as he hugged a pillow and Winnie to his chest, putting Winnie on top of the pillow so he could live the luxury life. Junhoe'll see himself through this. So what if he usually goes out and gets drunk every time he's feeling things? He's probably smart enough to take one look at the sky and say boo-hoo to the booze, right?