youngblood // track six

I'm back from holiday now

-

YOUNGBLOOD
TRACK SIX: MOVING ALONG

-

Luke entered the small café on a Sunday morning, he'd been drinking the night before and his head hurt and all he wanted was some freshly squeezed orange juice and poached egg on toast. Luke took his usual seat in the cafe by the window, removing his glasses and pressing the palms of his hands in to his eyes. "Fuck." Luke mumbled to himself.

"Hey Luke." Luke looked up and gave his favourite waitress a smile.

"Hey Sammy." Luke said softly, hand in his hair, "can I get my usual?"

"Sure, you doing okay?" She asked.

Luke nodded tiredly, "yeah, yeah, just drank a bit too much last night, couldn't sleep much either." He shrugged to himself, "I'll sleep better tonight."

"Good, you need it, all that song writing must be tiring." She joked, touching Luke's shoulder, she squeezed it and then left Luke to himself.

Luke put his phone on the table in front of him and stared down at the message he'd refused to open.

Reece: please stop fucking calling me drunk

Luke licked his lips and looked out the window, he watched people walk around with dogs and their partners and parents and friends and Luke sighed and glanced back at his phone—he wasn't meant to call Reece last night, he'd been drunk and sad at a party and he'd just called to say he loved him, that he missed him. God, he was stupid.

Luke: I'm sorry, I promise I didn't mean to

Luke simply replied and deleted the conversation, they didn't talk much anyway.

Sammy brought Luke's food over with the orange juice in a glass, she placed it on the table and put her hand on his shoulder, "If you're getting drunk because of this break up, you should talk to him." She said, making Luke stare up at her, "don't look at me like I'm crazy, communication is key Luke."

Luke nodded, "maybe." No, thank you, I'd rather die.

Sammy left Luke to his food so he sipped at his orange juice before picking up his knife and fork and digging in to his poached egg on toast. He remembered Reece used to make nice eggs, he'd season them and they'd always be just the way he liked.

Luke ate his food and once he finished he stood up, leaving a twenty on the table, the change from the bill would go to Sammy for her tip. He sent Sammy a smile from across the cafe before leaving.

Ten minutes later, Reece entered the cafe with his sister, he'd just finished a ten hour night shift at work, and now all he wanted was a cup of coffee from his favourite cafe. He took his usual seat in the window, seeing the table had just been cleaned. Charlotte sat opposite him and picked up the menu, she was visiting for three weeks to see her boyfriend, Calum. "Do you come here a lot?" She asked her brother.

"Yeah, use to with Luke, used to sit here and watch people on the beach." Reece's smile was small as he remembered those times. "He called me last night while I was working, I was on my break and he called and he was so drunk, saying all this shit that he loved me."

"But he broke up with you, didn't he?" Char asked, Reece nodded. "Cal told me all the news about it but you didn't tell me shit."

"Because it was painful." Reece said, "one day were great, I'm coming home to cooked meals and great sex and then..." Reece trailed off, "I dunno what happened Char."