Chapter 30; The rescue mission-Part 1

Start from the beginning

He was just finishing the order, glancing at me for a second to show he noticed I was here.

I waited patiently until he was done, looking at a picture of him and his brother, standing with a woman who looked very much like them, though her blond hair and her blue-grey eyes matched the older boy.

"That's our mother," I heard Thomas said from behind me, coming closer to stand beside me. I thought back to what little he told me about his parents.

"You said your parents always argued and didn't care for you, right? And that Grey basically raised you," I turned my head towards the brown-haired boy as he quietly gazed at the picture with a somewhat sad look.

"Yeah," He simply replied, and I thought that was all he's going to say, but after a moment he added something I've never heard. "Did you know I met Klay first when I ran out of the house one day?" I blinked and stared at him. "Really? How old were you?" I asked carefully, not wanting to ask something that might hurt him. But when he was talking about his brother and his friend, suddenly his eyes were shining, and the happiness was clear on his face.

"Ten, I think. It was pretty bad that day, and Grey was out on a school trip, even though he didn't want to go because he was worried of leaving me alone. I convinced him otherwise, so that left me alone with them. We only recently moved to this city, so I didn't have any friends, but I couldn't spend another second and calling Grey wasn't an option." Thomas went on, putting his hands in his pants' pockets as he retold me his memories.

"So you ran out of the house?" I asked softly, and he nodded. "How did you meet Klay?" He let out a chuckle, probably because of the memory.

"That idiot tried riding a skateboard for the first time and probably got a bit too cocky, riding on it too fast for a beginner. We quite literally ran into each other." Thomas said and we both laughed. This was so like Klay to be like that, and he never changed.

"After we became friends, we met Oliver on the first day of fifth grade. Wasn't much of a talker, but after a while he got used to us and opened up. He didn't have much interaction with people because he was homeschooled before and it was his first year of going to a real school. I guess you can say Klay and I saw something in him from the moment we saw him try to talk to someone, without success."

I found myself smiling at his words, and suddenly felt a bit sad for Oliver. He was still that ten year old who didn't know how to make friend and talk to people, and he will probably stay like that. But now that he had the boys, and me, he wasn't alone, and if he could open up even more to me, I would be more than happy.

"It took some time, but with Klay's persistence we managed to make him feel more comfortable with us." His words surprised me, and I gaped at him a bit. "Klay? He was the one to make the cold boy warm up?" I voiced my thoughts to him. Thomas smiled at me, meeting my gaze.

"Klay was also the one who one day decided he was going to bother the 'lonely, blind, stuck up boy' who came later that year, until he agreed to join us for ice cream after school." He said, making air quotes at the words that probably described the curly-head boy. "Elliot? Him too?" I asked him.

"Klay didn't care what people thought of Elliot, and he saw how lonely he was. That was something we all have in common," His words made me swallow hard, and I turned my head back to the picture before whispering, "Even me," but Thomas could hear my words and he nodded.

"And after we started to realize he was hiding something; our friendship became even stronger. We didn't quite understand it at first, and Elliot made as swear not to tell anyone so I couldn't ask Grey about it." Thomas went on, and I understood what he was talking about. "You mean his mother," I stated, feeling my hand tighten to a fist just from remembering that sorry excuse of a parent.