chapter 3

Abby and I were sitting on the porch waiting for Jacob to get here. He was running late by 20 minutes.
"He's standing me up" I said.
"No. He's running late. I messaged him a few minutes ago" she replied playing on her phone.
"How do you have his number?" I asked.
"Made him give it to me in class after lunch. If you're gonna ask my best friend out you're gonna be forces to tell me what you guys are doing so I can have you properly ready with the right clothes" she answered. At that moment a red trailblazer pulled up and parked in front of my house. Jacob got out and walked up to us.
"Hey sorry I'm late. I lost track of time" he said.
"Its fine" I replied standing up.
"You look great" he responded. I smiled and looked at him. He was wearing a nice black v neck shirt and jeans.
"You too" I said. He smiled.
"Ready to go?" He asked. I nodded.
"Have her home by 11. Her mom might kill her if shes home later than that on a school night" Abby said.
"Got it" he said. He held out his hand to me and I hesitated but took it. We walked to his blazer and he opened the door for me. I got in and he closed the door. He walled around the front and got in.
"Where are we going?" I asked.
"Its a surprise" he answered.

The surprise was taking me to a Chinese place.
"Chinese?" I said.
"Yeah this one first. We are getting take out and have a few other places to go. So don't go too crazy here cause there's other places" he replied. I was confused. We went in and got some food. He paid and then we went out to the car. He put the food in the back and drove us somewhere else.
All together we went to 3 different food places.
"Why do we need all this food?" I asked.
"You love food" he answered. I didn't say anything else. He drove us to the drive in movie and I smiled.
"Also know you haven't been to one of these" he said smiling. We parked and he grabbed the food. The movie started and we ate the food.
After the movie ended he took me to the beach. The sun was setting and looked amazing on the water. We walked along the water and I looked at him.
"I'm guessing Abby told you all of this stuff?" I asked.
"She gave me the top 3 favorite food places. Told me you wanted to go to the drive in and haven't been. The beach was my idea" he answered. I nodded.
"You know I thought maybe this date would be bad because I didn't really wanna come on it but its not that bad" I replied. He stopped and looked at me.
"Why didn't you wanna come?" He asked.
"My mom always told me that boys hurt you. From the moment you say yes for a date or the moment you catch their eye until the day you die" I answered.
"Why would she tell you that?" He replied.
"My dad has hurt her a lot since they got together. He cheated on her. Lie to her. Faked his own death. That's what's happened within a year of them being together" I responded.
"That was your dads mistake. Not yours or mine. I wouldn't hurt you and if I do I'll leave you alone" he said.
"There is no if. It's a when" I replied continuing walking.
"Jen please take a chance with me and if you see that I'm going to hurt you then leave yourself. No questions asked" he responded walking behind me a little bit. I turned towards him and looked him in the eye. His eyes were gentle and somehow I could tell he was telling me the truth.
"Okay" I said. He smiled. He pulled me into a hug and I felt okay. I was putting my trust into a guy. Not just any guy either. Jacob Adams.

Jacob was walking me up to my porch. The porch light was on and I could hear yelling. I stopped on our side walk. My mom and dad were fighting. I looked to the right and saw Abby walking up.
"I've been walking around the block for the last 2 hours. They've been fighting nonstop since then" she said. I shook my head.
"Do you know why?" I asked.
"Something about their weekend trip" she answered. I looked at Jacob who was looking at the house.
"You should probably get going" I said.
"Are you sure?" He asked looking at me.
"Yeah I'm sure. I'm gonna go to Abby's for the night. I'll see you at school tomorrow" I answered. He nodded and kissed my cheek. He went to his blazer and got in. I watched as he drove away.
"Come on you owe me a lot of details" Abby said as we started walking to her house.