Mama Bird

Artemis woke back up and heard someone coughing.

She saw Danny sitting up coughing his lungs out. (Not really, that would be bad)

"Danny are you ok?!" She ask as she felt worried and rubbed his back.

"No..." He said tiredly as he leaned on her.

"I think you have a high fever." She says as she laid him back on the couch and put a pillow under his head as he kept the blanket close.

"I think you have a high fever," she laid him back down on the couch and put a pillow under his head as he kept the blankets close.

"Mmmm don't worry, I'm fine," he mumbled with his eyes closed and curled up against himself.

"Hey Dinah... So what do you do to help someone with the flu?" Artemis asked casually.

The phone line when dead and the zeta beam announced black canary's arrival.

"What happened?" She asked motherly.

"Dannys sick, everyone's gone," Artemis bit her lip.

Canary and Artemis jumped when they heard the halfa coughing again.

"Pour some orange juice, he won't want food," Dinah sighed and walked into the dark room and saw Danny with his eyes closed tightly coughing.

She sat down and rubbed his shoulder.

She's always wanted children but was never able to have any and when she met Danny she felt a connection motherly to him.

"Hi Dinah," he peaked at her weakly.

"How are you feeling." She ask moving her blond hair away.

"Dead," he mumbled and yawned.

"I want you to drink something and later eat something, I'll call Roy later," she told him and he shook his head.
"I don't want anything," Danny said weakly.

"You have a high metabolism Danny, you need food or I'm making you eat tofu," canary scowled.

"Gross," he coughed. She noticed instead of him being flushed red he was flushed a neon green and looked pale.

"Do I have to get up?" Danny mumbled.

"No, Artemis is bringing you orange juice and I want to see that gone in an hour," canary smiled gently and he mumbled a okay.

She sighed and brushed his longer bangs away as he fell back asleep.

"I don't think it's the flu he has, he's cheeks are green not red," Dina told Artemis when she walked back in.

"Maybe batman would know?" Artemis said now a little more worried and she put a cup of juice next to Danny on a coffee table.

"Maybe," the older woman agreed. She contacted batman later and he dark knight walked in.

"Artemis you should be at school," batman said to her.

"I'm not leaving Danny," she crossed her arms.

"You can come back to your boyfriend later," batman walked past her.

"Wait what?!" She gasped.

"How'd you know?" Artemis said with wide eyes.

"I'm batman," he said and Artemis frowned at this.

"Go to school Artemis, your already a few hours late," Dina said and she glared as she left not wanting to leave her boyfriend.

"Why did you want her to leave so fast?" Dina turned to batman as he was inspecting the halfa.

"Knowing Danny is that with him sleeping this much he might get nightmare or night terrors, I don't want her have to listen to him scream in fear when it does happen," batman stood up.

"Is it true they're dating?" Dina smirked. Batman nodded.

"Only Robin and miss Martian knows," batman said amused almost. They heard a cry from Danny as he clung onto the blanket tighter and tears rolled down his cheeks.

"Danny wake up, it's not real," canary was by his side and he gasped for a breath coughing as he sprung up.

"Mom?" He sobbed and hugged canary who was now surprised but hugged back.

"It's okay, don't worry, no ones going to hurt you," she soothed and once they let go Danny broke into a coughing fit again.

"Deep breaths," she rubbed his back hoping to die down the coughs.

"What the *cough cough*" Danny wheezed as he stopped coughing soon and he felt exhausted.

"Sorry," he said weakly.

"For what?" Canary asked gently.

"Sorry for calling you... Uh..." He looked away.

"Mom?" She smiled and Danny bowed his head down.

"Danny, I would never mind being called a mother figure by you, I care for you like a son," she hugged him gently and kissed the top of his head motherly.

"You where close to your mom before?" She asked letting Danny lay back down and he weakly nodded.

"Before Roy left... And a little after that... She always looked out for me if jazz wasn't there," he whispered with a tear running down his face.

"From my old life... I miss Jazz the most," he whispered closing his eyes. Dina smiled at him sadly.

"This isn't a normal illness is it?" Canary looked back at batman.

"I found its called the ecto flu, only happens to ghost, or in this case halfas," batman explained.

"Is it deadly...er..." Canary looked back at him.

"No, it's like any other flu but sometimes it causes flash backs of the ghost traumas, otherwise their deaths if it was violent," batman looked at Danny as well.

"How... How did he..." Canary didn't want to say 'die' cause she couldn't think of this spirited boy, who's shy, to kind for this world, talented, and brave... She didn't want to think of his half dead, it just didn't seem right.

"I don't know, I don't think anyone knows," batman said.

Tired of the ads?
Go ad-free now!
"Clock work," batman nodded.

"How do you know?" Dina asked worried.

"I know everything, and sadly, my apprentice had a horrible death," clockwork sighed.

"Please... Tell me, I want to know how he turned this way so I can be there for him knowing," canary said pleadingly and clockwork nodded.

"He was only 11 years old..."