43. Dig In

Peter dives in to the food, driven by his desire to finally be full. Everything tastes like a gift from the heavens, hospital food or not. Finally! Something other than fish!

Peter soon regrets eating so much so quickly, however, and next thing he knows he's vomiting and feeling sick go his stomach. He's hungry again, too, but too nauseated to eat.

When he finishes vomiting, Peter surveys his surroundings. He's in a hospital gown in a hospital bed in a hospital. He's obviously been bathed at some point, and his hair has been washed. His hair has become a little shaggy over the past . . . however long that was . . . and he's grown a beard he can't wait to get rid of.

A man enters the room. "How are you feeling, sir?"

"All things considered, I'm feeling quite well. My leg hurts, though."

"What's your name?" he asks, moving on.

"Peter."

"You're the man they've been looking for then."

"Really?"

"Yeah. They've been looking for you ever since you disappeared around three months ago."

Peter smiles because someone had noticed he was gone. He feels loved in an odd sort of way.

The doctor continues to check everything he came in to check. He asks Peter if he needs anything.

"I'd like a razor please," is all Peter says.

The doctor nods and leaves, and Peter settles in to his bed and prepares to sleep again.

Another visitor knocks on the door. Peter groans. "Come in." The man enters. Peter can tell immediately the man is a reporter.

"Sir, I'd like to ask you a few questions about your time in the woods."

Peter obliges and answers the man's questions, then asks to be left alone.

• • •

A couple days later, Peter returns home to his wife and kids, safe at last (well, as safe as one can be in the sort of wilderness that is civilization itself).

You've successfully helped Peter live through the woods.