37. Check the Fire

Peter wakes up in the morning, his leg aching, and immediately goes to climb the hill, which is really more of a plateau.

When he gets to the top, he gathers the wood for the fire and builds the fire up. Then he gets an idea. He'll gather a bunch of sticks and write "SOS" in the sand. He does so, and when he finished he goes back to camp to drink some water. Afterward, he goes and catches two fish then eats them in his camp.

At night he settles in and goes to sleep.

In the morning, he is awakened by the familiar noise of a helicopter flying overhead.

Peter sprints from his campsite to the plateau and then starts climbing as quickly as he can. When he reaches the top, he starts waving his arms like a mad man and shouting desperately. He frantically removes his shirt to make smoke signals while he keeps yelling.

The helicopter gets closer.

They've seen me.

Peter gets excited.

He keeps the smoke signals and the shouting going.

Soon, a ladder is dangling in his face and someone yells, "Climb on!"

Peter smiles. He didn't know if he'd ever have a conversation with someone other than himself again.

It's too good to be true, he thinks.

He's right. It is.

No, I'm just kidding; I wouldn't do that to you. But Peter's story is still not over.

Peter climbs onto the ladder and is pulled up to the helicopter. He hugs the first person he sees then passes out. The helicopter carries him away from the woods in which he's been so traumatized, so frequently attacked by random animals (my bad), and so scared.

Peter wakes up in a hospital to a tray of food. It looks so good, though most people complain about hospital food. He's so hungry . . . and so tired of fish.

Does Peter Eat Slowly (42) or Dig In (43)?