Midnight

Prince Kai's 

Clouds fly past my face as we move through the air

the wind is blowing through my hair and ruffling the clothes on my back. A familiar feeling that brought me more comfort than most of my other duties.

I hold on to some of the rough scales on Leo's back. taping my boot on his side to push him to go faster, and sometimes to direct him, I didn't need to do it but Leo liked to be sure of where to go.

Shades of red and black scales are illuminated by the sun's rays

Leo blew smoke out of his nose and he flaps his wings pushing through the air. I chuckled at the signs of frustration Leo was showing me. Waking up early never put him in the best mood but I had to reach the land of trees by dawn.

I coughed with some of the smoke reaching my throat, I patted Leo to let him know to steer right but also as an apology. He stopped blowing out so much smoke and shifted to the right.

I searched the ground as we moved through the sky. I have heard rumors of water elemental dragons flying around these mountains. At the castle, we have and train with many fire elementals, but a water elemental has been unheard of for years. Ever since men who carried the water gift died out, the only gift people carry is fire. Once the king heard the news of this he immediately sent hunters for this dragon, but most were unsuccessful most never seeing it at all. Some men come back sharing stories of its beauty and strength, others do not return at all.

The King has decided to give the task to me. He demanded I bring back this beast if it's real or never returns to the castle.

I have been pulled away from the battlefield for this, this foolishness We are in a silent war with the rebels!

And the king thought that this dragon was even more important! We have over twenty dragons and thousands of men fighting the battle for the good kingdom and he cares about this.

A simple dragon was more important to him!

Maybe because of the power?

Or bragging rights?

But while I am gone hunt for this beast, my men are on the field fighting for their lives. The King only cares for himself

The faster I deal with this the faster I am able to return to the battlefield

I looked down below me and saw some scattered huts near the forest. I could see the servant's village busy at work. Men hauling huge amounts of number women sitting outside sewing garments and dresses the children would carry small crates of fruit towards the city

the closer I got to the city center the less work I saw happening and more play the city's children ran around outside playing while the school girls carried their many books to their houses to study for more tests. the village wives walked around in their fancy dresses and the men discussed matters unimportant to me outside their homes.

the humid weather from the rainforest made me sweat a little more in my royal uniform. I pulled at my collar to let in some cool air. I spotted the many tents of the soldier's camp and started to bring Leo down towards the ground

we are here

The people around here dressed in very exotic clothing women's dresses were made of a lighter material that flowed as they walked. in the isle of light women covered their bodies in thick materials and jewels. Many of the men wore loosely buttoned shirts and kept their hair up in a bun or cut very short.

Many of the servants that worked wore loose-fitting linen pants and shirts that barely covered their stomachs

Their hair flowed feely and most of them were barefoot.