Summer Camp

Interviewing one of the survivors of the camp RedPine murders, 2018.

"So, do you remember camp RedPine well?"

"Camp RedPine, 1991.
I remember it like it was yesterday."

"How old were you?"

"13, actually almost 14."

"Did you have any friends there?"

"Umm... no. But I made a couple of friends there. Randy and Tom. They were kinda Hicks, but they were great guys. It was weird for me, a rich black kid to become friends with a few hicks but you know... they were great fellas."

"Haha, Okay. Well, bring me through the whole story them, Dom."

"Alight.. well, the camp was a two week program, it went from June 6th until June 20th. It was in Northern California, up in the great redwoods. In some secluded area. My mother dropped me off there and kissed me goodbye then told me 'see you in two weeks Dommy! Stay safe! I love you!' And she drove off. I walked up to the camp councilor and he directed me to my cabin. I went in there and all of the kids looked at me, I don't know if it was because I was rich or because I was black."

"Maybe both."

"Maybe, we didn't have any issues though, I got along pretty well with the other kids. I remember we had to go to this assembly with all the kids. There was a good 100 or 120 kids at this camp. It was broken up into 4 groups. We had the Red group that I was part of, the Green group, the Blue group, and the Yellow group. We'd all compete and shit. But so we had his whole assembly where the camp directors described what the camp was like. 'This is a camp where you will learn life skills and where you will make life long friends.' I remember the head director saying.. I think is name was like Mr. Elone. I can't really remember though. All I know is the first day we played kickball."

"Was it a fun camp?"

"Yeah, we all had a blast. There was just something.. off.. about the place. I don't know if it was the giant redwoods for the fog that just rolled through the forrest. I don't remember a whole lot from the camp itself, I do remember that first night though. I made friends with Randy and Tom, we had bunks next to each other and we stayed way past lights out playing cards. Then, we all heard this scream. One of the happy campers. She screamed her ass off and of course we went outside to see what happened. By the time we were out there the camp directors were out there already. They told us to go back inside. The next day they just told us she saw a bear and got scared, but word went around that something with red eyes and long legs and arms and claws charged at her. Non of us really knew what to believe."

"That's terrifying for a bunch of teens, isn't it?"

"No, we were teenagers, we were all shitting our pants but all of us acted not scared. Stupid kids. A few nights later strange things started to happen, scratches would appear on trees and on the sides of cabins. People would hear growling in the dark, everybody would see shadows out of the corners of their eyes. It was a whole lot of tom fuckery. So, I'm just gonna skip past the boring camp stuff we did, get right to the point you want to hear.
June 17th, 1991. It was a Monday night, 3 days before we were gonna leave. We all got to play capture he flag in the woods, it was starting at 7 and was gonna end at 9. It was between all 4 groups. It was a lot of fun. We all had little tags on us and it you lost your tag you had to go all the way back to the main office to get another, and then come back. If your flag got captured you'd have to get the tag of whoever had the flag and if you lost your tag while you had the flag, you'd have to drop the flag, it was fair game for whoever would pick it up." 

"Sounds like a lot of fun."

"Yeah, it was.. I think if was around 8 that everybody just felt... paranoid. It was a feeling like something was about to happen. But we all shook it off because there was still an hour left in the game. Then, once 9 rolled around the whistles blew, both Red and Yellow got their flags captured by Blue. Blue was the winner.
But then some people started to panic. 7 campers went missing. All the other campers got flashlights and everybody searched over the forest. We found nothing except for a single shoe. That night they had us lock our doors.
The next morning though, the windows of 2 cabins were broken into. 18 kids were gone. They sent everybody home. With 25 kids gone they sent teams of police out there to look.
It took a day but 21 of the kids were found.
19 of which were dead. There were all found stabbed up against various branches, some as far up as 100 feet in the redwood trees. Some of them were missing limbs and I think one of them was missing a head.
The police found two kids alive, both in critical health. They were air lifted out and brought to a hospital near by, when the helicopters got there though, they found the other 4 missing kids. At the top of the redwoods. Stabbed on the very tops. All about 350 feet in the air. Their bodies were recovered. The two kids were questioned and neither of them really knew what happened."

"And what was the significance of us interviewing you? Couldn't we have interviewed anyone else that was there?"

"Well, I was one of the 2 kids that was taken who lived."

"Really? And you don't remember anything?"

"Well, I remember waking up and feeling something grab my neck faster than I could react. It did have claws, sharp ones. Then I remember the pain of that branch being stabbed through my bowls, and looking it I'm it's eyes. It had devilish red eyes. And I passed out. I remembered screaming when I woke up, while the police pulled me down. And being air lifted out. I saw the bodies stabbed on top of the trees. That sticks with you forever."

"Damn, you've been through hell and you've met the devil."

"Yes. I have."